Testing 1, 2, 3: Pumpkin Cider Salt Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired by, and more or less copied from, cmzaha. It was time to see what her quiet riot is all about. 76% CO, and 8% each avocado, shea and castor. Fine-grained sea salt to match the CO. Half my liquid was water, the other half mostly canned pure pumpkin thinned down with DH's hard cider (evaporated, of course). No frag and no colorants so I know what I'm working with on my next batch. And yes, there will be one.

Ways I know I deviated: hard cider rather then coconut milk or beer (what can I say, it just seemed appropriate), and fairly light on the salt. Also, I used my virgin cavity molds (bought almost a year ago), and I'm guessing they just won't produce the glass-like bars (-->heat?) that Carolyn talks about.

Got your ears on Zaha, or anyone else who knows? How important is a loaf mold and 100 to 120% salt to getting that smooth texture?

Batch 1 Test.jpg

Pumpkin & cider sounds like the perfect combo for a fall salt bar. I always use my round cavity mold for salt bars and still get that glassy smooth finish without having to stress about when to cut. They look totally yummy!

They look fantastic. Actually I do get the smoothest ones with my silicone cavity mold. You will be surprised how smooth they are when you unmold. Now for the long cure wait! I'm jealous, I want some of that hard cider for mine

Oh goodie, glad I'm on track. Only my second salt soap so just wasn't sure.

I rarely think ahead far enough to match my soap to the season, so I'm pleased with myself on this one. And I know I shouldn't be too optimistic, but I can't wait to see how the natural color and scent will hold. Trying to figure out what will compliment it if need be. Another trial and error for sure!

I tasted the pumpkin/hard cider mix before adding to the oils. A nice balance that is not too sweet. But really the cider is best sampled on its own :p

They sound delightful. I make regular bars with pumpkin, but never thought to put it in salt bars. Will have to try!

The natural color stayed true to the photo above, and the scent is light, slightly sweet, and pleasant. And it is indeed as smooth as glass on all sides but the top. So in my book, this recipe holds its own for being simple and satisfying. But being the insatiable soaper I am (and knowing I was going to make another batch), I will use a discoloring fragrance in a portion of the batter for my next version. The natural golden seems like it would accommodate tan or brown well, and augment the autumn aura.

Been sniffing FOs this morning to see what I want -- maybe wassail, vanilla, or ancient sedona since I don't have anything with pumpkin or apple. Would have liked to use cranberry fig or moroccan fig, but they don't discolor. I have a pretty good selection of FOs and EOs, so if you have any suggestions, please chime in!

Latest posts

Back