Tested my 100% Lard soap bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepItSimpleSoap

Reaction score
On Christmas day (12-25-19) I tested my Lard soap bars. It had been 31 days since I made them and I really didn't expect them to be fully cured. My original plan was to let them cure to the 15th of January. The soap made bubbles and washed my hands well but it left a greasy film. I didn't feel any burn however my hands are not very sensitive. I have been working in Auto Restoration for 40 years so my hands are a bit tough. I can see where 3 more weeks of curing and they should be good. I'll post an update at that time.
Thanks again to all of those who have given positive advice and encouragement.

Last edited:
Yesterday (12-25-19) I tested my Lard soap bars. It has been 31 days since I made them and I really didn't expect them to be fully cured. My original plan was to let them cure to the 15th of January. The soap made bubbles and washed my hands well but it left a greasy film. I didn't feel any burn however my hands are not very sensitive. I have been working in Auto Restoration for 40 years so my hands are a bit tough. I can see where 3 more weeks of curing and they should be good. I'll post an update at that time.
Thanks again to all of those who have given positive advice and encouragement.
Congratulations on the soap! If you have even a little bit of superfat you shouldn’t have to worry about the soap burning because it should fully saponify within the first few days. I’ve read that a 100% lard soap gets better with a long cure. I made some during the summer (July, I think) and it’s just starting to make what I would call a bubbly lather. During the first months the lather was more lotion-like, similar to a younger 100% olive oil soap.

Update on curing. Sunday 12-29-19 I tested my first batch of Lard CP soap again and I really didn't expect there to be much difference than 4 days ago, but there was. Sunday was the 5 week mark and using the bar it didn't have a greasy after feel like it did 4 days earlier. I have my big boot box open now so it will breath better. I have my first 4 batches in the box and I rearranged them so the newest ones are on the bottom layer. That's 9+12+12+12=45 bars made from recycled pig fat (lard)!
ADDED-It doesn't smell like BACON

Last edited:
Have you ever used handmade soap vs commercial soap before? That might be the part of the reason it felt a bit 'greasy' when you first used it. At least that's the reaction most people I know have the first time they ever use handmade soap.

Back