Test Batches for 40% Lard Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leilaninoel

Reaction score
Totally forgot that this section of the forum existed (I generally just read the forum via the "New Posts" link) - I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. :p Realized it makes more sense to post my photo here instead of as a reply on my original recipe feedback post.

I was testing out different methods to see what I truly prefer. Base recipe is all the same (40% Lard, 20% CO, 15% OO, 15% RBO, 5% Castor, + 5% different oils to test (Flax, Avo, Grapeseed, Apricot Kernel, or Meadowfoam).

I'm also relatively new to trying to make the soaps "pretty", and have yet to make anything come out exactly as I planned as far as designs are concerned. But I will keep trying! :)

Lavender and President's Hat were CP
Orange was a purposeful rebatch
Grapefruit was hot process
Jasmine, Cinnamon Bun, and Unscented were CPOP

full soap rack lard bars.jpg

Very nice looking soaps and recipe! Let us know how they all are when they're done curing! :) I'm quite a fan of Meadowfoam applied purely as a facial oil, I'm curious how it does in soap.

Very nice looking soaps and recipe! Let us know how they all are when they're done curing! :) I'm quite a fan of Meadowfoam applied purely as a facial oil, I'm curious how it does in soap.

The lavender is about a month old at this point, and from testing a sliver I can see the bubbles are already big and it already feels nice on the hands. I think I may be a lard-lover now! :) I can't wait to see how how they feel after a proper cure.

I've used meadowfoam in soap before (I like to use it as a carrier oil for scents and colorants - I know, I'm crazy), but I've yet to do such methodical testing for recipes, so once these cure and I can do side by side comparisons of soaps with different luxury oils I'll be happy to provide details! :)

I like 5% castor and it makes a difference but not sure if 5% of the other oils will make a significant difference. Will be interesting to see. Where will you post your results, here or on the other thread?

What did you use to get the color in the Jasmine soap? Very bright and nice shade! :)

The overall pink is actually from Liquid Cherry Colorant, and the darker pink is some of the already-pink batter mixed with additional Ultramarine Pink Oxide

I like 5% castor and it makes a difference but not sure if 5% of the other oils will make a significant difference. Will be interesting to see. Where will you post your results, here or on the other thread?

I'm curious to see if 5% of the other oils will make a difference as well - I've seen mixed things from different folks on the forum regarding that, but I figured it was a good a place as any to start. I can post my results both places if folks would like.

Back