Temperature for oils and lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalpanaganesan

Reaction score
Some say the temperature to be maintained as 85 degrees Fahrenheit some 100 degrees Fahrenheit. What is the optimum temperature the oils and the lye solution should be for a good soap

Some say the temperature to be maintained as 85 degrees Fahrenheit some 100 degrees Fahrenheit. What is the optimum temperature the oils and the lye solution should be for a good soap
There really is not an optimum temperature. The temperatures that you mentioned are more of average starting temperature based on a wide variety of different recipes.

When I first started soaping I worried about temperatures and where I should start. However now I start at room temperature because I am doing many different colors and I need the extra time.

Temperatures can effect the speed at which your soap starts setting up but that can also be effected by many other factors aside from temperature.

Some soaper's on here do not even measure the temperature of their soap to start with. I do take temperature measurements but it is more because of my personal preference for.

Some of the more experienced soaper's might be able to give you a "for instance" where temperature might be important but I can't think of one.

High lye temperature can burn different additives that you substitute/use in place of water. So you may want lower temperature for your lye.

I'd second the lower temperature of 85° F. Particularly if you are trying out techniques and stuff - which you probably are. It took me time to have the patience to wait for low temperatures but things have gone smoother (i.e. less scary-thriller-unexpected-turns situation) when I managed to discipline myself to wait to get down to 85°F. And I won't be going up any time in the near future!

Back