Temperature difference between summer and winter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyma

Reaction score
I'm trying to find what do we change in the soapmaking process between summer and winter. I suppose that if we insulate our soap and don't put it in the fridge, in winter we make a better insulation because of low temperatures.
But what about the temperature of the oils and lye?
In winter we increase the oil/lye temperature compared with the summer or the opposite, we reduce it so that we don't have a big difference between room temperature and oil/lye temperature?

I don't change the temperature I soap at for the different seasons. I base the temperature on whether I want a batch to gel or whether I don't want to gel the soap.

I use a temperature range between 110F/43C to 120F/43C or maybe slightly hotter if I want the batch to gel and then I insulate it. It doesn't matter whether it's summer or winter. I will warm molds in the oven during the cold months so I'm not pouring the soap into a cold mold.

I use a temperature range from room temperature up to approximately 100F/37C when I don't want to gel the batch. This is generally for when I use buttermilk or cream in a batch. However, I do place molds in a freezer or refrigerator during the hotter months to help keep the soap cool until I can get it put in the refrigerator.

Latest posts

Back