Tell Me a Story

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SMF was the first forum I stumbled on when I started soaping, and I think I was lucky to have found it. I've never felt the need to look further than this wonderful place for advice and supportive people who never get tired of talking soap. But I've been wondering - how did this forum get its start and evolve into the soapy nirvana it is today?

I don't know the whole back-story because the forum was already 2 years old when I first joined back in 2008, but this is what I've been able to glean over the years (hopefully those that are 'more in the know' will be able to confirm and/or fill in the gaps):

The forum came online in 2006, and was owned/started by soapmaker who's company was/is called 'Pure and Natural Soaps'. Her goal was to make this the friendliest soap-making forum where lovers of the craft of soap-making (both old and new) would have a comfortable and positive place to come together to discuss soap peacefully and intelligently without being dragged down by petty dramas, which is a goal we strive to maintain- albeit not perfectly since not a single one of us is perfect, lol- but as a part of the modmin team I can say without a doubt that it remains the topmost goal in each of our (the modmin team's) minds.

Sometime around 2011-12 or so the forum kept coming down with some pretty big glitches, such as the forum crashing multiple times, entire blocks of threads going missing, etc...not to mention the forum becoming overwhelmed by crazy, relentless, rampant spamming (way much more than what was 'normal'). From what I understand, the owner had become very successful with her business and was not able to give as much attention to the forum as she had previously, which was a big contributing factor to the developing chaos.

To make a long story short, it was one heck of a crazy, unpredictable period for the forum for a bit, and I and many others chose to leave for awhile, but thankfully a wonderful group of folks swept in around 2012-13, bought the forum from the owner of Pure and Natural, and saved the day (the same group of folks also own a home-brewing forum, btw). And the rest, as they say is history.

IrishLass :)

Yes, I too am glad I found this forum first. I had never thought to look for any other forums (fora?) until someone was talking about a certain someone on a FB group that "invented" brine soap and was the guru of all things soap. Of course, having the personality I do, I went snooping. I joined a couple of FB groups and enjoyed them for a while. However, there was far too much drama. Many of the posts were helpful and gave me ideas to try or led me to videos to watch and buying groups to join, so I'm grateful for my time in them. But the DRAMA!! Oh my gosh! It's like watching an episode of Will & Grace with "JUST JACK!" So, I've dropped most of those and just hang out here. No drama. Everyone wears big girl/big boy pants and knows if they have a problem or issue they can "talk" it out like the mature adults we all are. (Well, most of us. My maturity is lacking. But I am old-ish.)

I feel extremely fortunate to have found this place filled with such giving, creative, and warm people!

I stay off of facebook as a rule. It's a lot easier to maintain civility with people (family) when I'm not witness to their bigoted postings (it's sad, but I'm not going to change their hearts or minds). Recently I made a faux-facebook soaping account just so I could look at buys/interesting soaping companies. :shh: I don't intend to go looking for soaping groups there since I've heard so many horror stories.

Latest posts

Back