Teenage Acne

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
***** Moved to start a new thread. *****
I was thinking of making something for my granddaughter for make-up removal. The trouble is, at 16, she tends to wear a lot of eye make-up and I want to find something that would be safe and not require flushing the eyes with water, etc.
Olive oil, applied with a gentle rubbing action, using the finger next to the pinkie, will remove even waterproof mascara.

She sometimes uses make-up removal wipes,
Nix the wipes. Anything with alcohol aggravates acne. BTW, Grapeseed oil is known to have astringent qualities. That may be a better option?

also gets loads of make-up all over the wash cloth every time she removes her make-up, too.
FYI: Actors and Make up Artists use Eucerin to remove heavy make up. That being said, the best choice would be to use a hair band to pull the hair away from the face, then rub Deep Cleansing Oil in a circular motion all over the face, then rinse several times with warm water until all trace of make up is gone. Pat dry with a clean wash cloth.

do you have anything in your arsenal that would fit the bill for a teen-ager with acne who wears loads of make-up?
Lard soap (5-6% SF) is the best soap for acne.

It would be great if you could encourage her to start a beauty routine now, while she's young. Tell her, "If you do it now, your 80-year-old self will thank you!" LOL

Heavy make up is really bad for skin. See if you can get her to try BB Cream tinted to match her skin tone. "BB" for "Blotches" & "Blemishes". It's gives light coverage, and evens out skin tone. She can save time in the morning by adding a swipe of blush to her cheeks and a quick coat of mascara and be done. Save the extras for special occasions.

None of our daughters (4) wore make up on a regular basis and they're blessed with clear skin to this day. Here's a pic of daughter Sarah (age 48) with granddaughter Erin,
Sarah & Erin .png

Last edited:
SoapCalc has wiki links for the different acids, Lauric and Linoleic are good for acne, it says.
  • Lauric is found in coconut and palm kernel
  • Linoleic is found in (paraphrasing) nuts, seeds, bean oil and corn
more info on the wiki pages

Zany, granddaughter is at a very sensitive time in her life right now and I really believe her extensive beauty routine is more supportive to her mental health needs than detrimental to her skin. I hesitate to expand with more specifics, but will provide a link which I believe makes very valid points as to why such activity should be supported rather than discouraged.

Next time I see her (next month on my way back from Hawaii with a special gift), I was hoping to find something special for her to supplement her beauty regimen. And maybe a couple of new head-bands, as she always takes mine when I visit. We shall see.

Sadly the makeup is not the cause of her acne. If it was, she wouldn't have it all over her back. She's just one of those unlucky girls (my best friend in HS had the same problem) who has moderate to severe acne (I would call it moderate; she would call it severe). Her mom is planning to talk to the doctor about medication alternatives, as that was helpful for a short time last year, but of course there are always concerns with medications.

She does go make-up free some of the time, though. When we went to Panama City Beach, just the two of us, during Spring Break, she limited her makeup to mascara and lip gloss. Then the weekend before I left she took a trip to San Antonio with her mom and didn't bring any makeup along for that overnight trip. So she knows to keep the skin makeup free some of the time and does. I was actually surprised she went to SA without makeup given that she was visiting her boyfriend. Obviously she feels very comfortable with her bf. :cool:

Earlene - check out humblebee and me website. Marie has a lot of really good formulations. She has some issues with adult acne so has some products and suggestions for dealing with the acne issue. I haven't tried acne formulas specifically, but have been very pleased with her products I have made.

Her mom is planning to talk to the doctor about medication alternatives, as that was helpful for a short time last year, but of course there are always concerns with medications.

If mom is talking to the doctor, there are reproductive issues that can cause/aggravate existing acne issues (I have personal experience). At 16 she is at prime age to get a baseline exams to rule out some of the issues or be forewarned for when she might be ready to consider kids (just in case it could possibly be one of the big issues).

Just mentioning because I had the bandaid option of a topical oiltment for a while but in retrospect my acne was linked to deeper issues that would have been nice to know about sooner.

Zany, granddaughter is at a very sensitive time in her life right now and I really believe her extensive beauty routine is more supportive to her mental health needs than detrimental to her skin. I hesitate to expand with more specifics, but will provide a link which I believe makes very valid points as to why such activity should be supported rather than discouraged.
Aw, that's tough, Earlene. But I knew when I started this thread that there are many issues surrounding acne and certainly no easy answer. But it sounds like your granddaughter is coping well... having a boyfriend that obviously likes her is huge.

From the second link on Techie Joe's informative Post:
Acne has been negatively affecting my life since I was 14. Growing up with acne all over my face and body has been a great source of frustration and discomfort for me. ... I'm now 22 and I have tried many prescribed medications including Minocycline, Tetracycline and Acutane. While Acutane seemed to improve my acne it really just created more problems. After one month of taking Acutane I was pulled off the medication because it was causing me to be seriously depressed. Almost immediately, my acne returned and was again a real problem for me. I then proceeded to try products like Benzagel 5 and ProAcitv with absolutely no results. Both products made things worse by leaving a thin film over my skin and made moving around even more uncomfortable.
I've heard this exact story many times over the past 14 years on Soapmaking forums and groups. I'm mentioning it because this is what your granddaughter will be facing if her mom takes her to a dermatologist, I can almost guarantee it. Now, that lady tried taking colloidal silver and it worked for her. The scary part for me is when she said, "I'll be taking it forever!" NOT a good plan. I messed around with colloidal silver for a period of time and there are downsides to using it, especially over an extended period of time.

A better plan, to my mind at least, would be to do a complete battery of tests for food allergies. I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

You can either buy the silver (in a pharmacy) or make your own, I can post details if your interested.
Thanks for that info, Joe. Please feel free to start a new thread with this topic. I purchased the colloidal silver I used from a lady who made it fresh in a rather simple contraption. It worked for me. But I stopped taking it after reading some research on a type of plant that worked even better. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was just now... if I can find that research, I'll start another thread. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your doctor about light therapy (red or blue; I've forgotten). There are home devices for those too.

Also, for anyone considering using silver based on the Beck protocol, be advised that there are reasons it's not supported by medical science, namely
the lack of subjective investigative study with positive proof of efficacy and safety.

Please don't start using silver without doing some deep research of your own.

https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver

Last edited by a moderator:
....the lack of subjective investigative study with positive proof of efficacy and safety.

Please be advised that you will never learn about a technology from a source that refuses to test it.

Do your own research, and don't be fooled by those that make their fortune from people's suffering.

Lenarenee, thank you for the light therapy suggestion. Back in March I had suggested 15 minutes per day of sunbathing without any sunscreen on the parts of her body with the acne, and she had started doing that. But now that she is on a medication, it may no longer be a viable option for a while. I will suggest to her mom that she make sure to discuss that with the doctor.

So at this point, all medical adjunctive therapies have to be approved by her medical team, of which I am not really a member. So my plan is to work on something non-medical to help her out.

BattleGnome, good point! She did have some issues that ended her up in hospital some time last year. Her short term medication for that condition cleared up her acne, but since it was temporary, it has returned. I know she has had follow up visits, but I don't really know how extensive an evaluation was done for underlying causes or 'other' issues.

Earlene - check out humblebee and me website. Marie has a lot of really good formulations. She has some issues with adult acne so has some products and suggestions for dealing with the acne issue. I haven't tried acne formulas specifically, but have been very pleased with her products I have made.

Thank you, slk! I am looking at some of those as possible products I can make for my granddaughter. I still have to do a bit of research on some ingredients for some of her formulas I find of interest and if any are currently contraindicated in her situation, but I see some promising ones there. I am preparing an order for a couple of ingredients for a couple of those formulas she posted. And her mention of African Black soap also reminded me that I found it to be very effective as a spot treatment myself in the past, so I plan to give her some that I still have from a bar I bought a couple of years ago. I really like this particular soap, but only use it as needed for the occasional outbreak. I actually shared it with her in the past, but seem to have forgotten how effective it was for me.

Light therapy is a good idea but sunbathing is much much better.
There is also ultra-violet ray therapy, but I would only consider that if the meds don't work.

Has she tried swimming in the sea?
It really had a good effect on any skin blemish I've had (years ago when I was younger). I used to swim at least twice a week. Its like an intense salt bath on steroids, feels really cleansing.
A good 20 minute swim every day is very good for a body.
If you don't have moisturizer for afterwards, the skin's own moisture will return by itself eventually.

Has she tried swimming in the sea?
It really had a good effect on any skin blemish I've had (years ago when I was younger). I used to swim at least twice a week. Its like an intense salt bath on steroids, feels really cleansing.
A good 20 minute swim every day is very good for a body.

Nice idea, but not a possibility, given where she lives. Perhaps bath salts and tub soaking might help, though. I will suggest that as an option.

Personally, I always loved swimming or even just plain floating on the in the ocean. It used to be one of my favorite things to do when I lived near the Pacific ocean. I used to take my sons to the beach as often as I could, more because it wore them out and they slept better, than the benefits of salt water on the skin.

But most people in the USA don't live anywhere near an ocean. But even for the 39% of our population who do, it's just not feasible to swim in the nearest ocean on a daily basis.

Santa Cruz 2013Aug15 047_tonemapped copyright EGW.jpg
One of my photos from 2013.

A few more thoughts...

I'm wondering if your daughter uses scented laundry products? What made me think of that is this article by Dr. Axe that I came across while searching for something else: Dryer Sheets are Toxic
When my daughter was seven years old, she broke out in a rash all over her body. Our family physician correctly diagnosed her with contact dermatitis. I washed all her clothes and bed linens in Dreft (mild detergent, unscented), and the rash completely disappeared.
My DH said that he didn't have acne, but his brother did and their mom would give his brother a daily dose of cod liver oil. Thankfully, it's available in capsule form today and there's lots of info on the internet about Cod Liver Oil for Acne
RE: Black Soap - good idea, IMHO
RE: Salt Water Bath - After a SMF discussion about Epsom Salts containing magnesium, I did a little research and learned that I probably wasn't getting enough magnesium in my diet so I soaked in Epson Salts + Baking Soda (water softener). It was wonderful -- so relaxing. Whether it helps acne or not, dunno, but I enjoy a salt scrub too.

Also, when I was a youngster, my mom had severe psoriasis and I watched as a kind neighbor rubbed rock salt right into her psoriasis. It went away. Forever. I'll never forget that. Sometimes I think Old Fashioned remedies are the best.

In any case, as long as she is on medication, it's best to just let it run its course and hope for the best. Dollars to donuts, they have her on a steroid. Not a good thing and if it does clear up the acne, and I can only hope I'm wrong here, it will be short term at best.

Nice idea, but not a possibility, given where she lives. Perhaps bath salts and tub soaking might help, though. I will suggest that as an option.

Personally, I always loved swimming or even just plain floating on the in the ocean. It used to be one of my favorite things to do when I lived near the Pacific ocean. I used to take my sons to the beach as often as I could, more because it wore them out and they slept better, than the benefits of salt water on the skin.

But most people in the USA don't live anywhere near an ocean. But even for the 39% of our population who do, it's just not feasible to swim in the nearest ocean on a daily basis.

View attachment 29868
One of my photos from 2013.
I spent dmany years on and in the ocean and it always help my eczema and did help my oldest daughters acne. Since I do not get to the ocean much these days I use 100% salt bars and so does my daughter and they help us both. My youngest daughter (also an adult), still fights some cystic acne. She makes a past of clay, AC and salt using it as a spot treatment. It helps her practically overnight.

A few more thoughts...

I'm wondering if your daughter uses scented laundry products? What made me think of that is this article by Dr. Axe that I came across while searching for something else: Dryer Sheets are Toxic
When my daughter was seven years old, she broke out in a rash all over her body. Our family physician correctly diagnosed her with contact dermatitis. I washed all her clothes and bed linens in Dreft (mild detergent, unscented), and the rash completely disappeared.
My DH said that he didn't have acne, but his brother did and their mom would give his brother a daily dose of cod liver oil. Thankfully, it's available in capsule form today and there's lots of info on the internet about Cod Liver Oil for Acne
RE: Black Soap - good idea, IMHO
RE: Salt Water Bath - After a SMF discussion about Epsom Salts containing magnesium, I did a little research and learned that I probably wasn't getting enough magnesium in my diet so I soaked in Epson Salts + Baking Soda (water softener). It was wonderful -- so relaxing. Whether it helps acne or not, dunno, but I enjoy a salt scrub too.

No, my DIL is really quite frugal, so no dryer sheets. And she uses FOCA laundry detergent, probably because it's what she's used to and because it is inexpensive. I don't think that the ingredients in FOCA are that problematic.

I will forward your cod liver oil link to my DIL because I am sure she find it interesting. I know my granddaughter would take it if she believed it would help and it has no record of interacting with her medication (I looked it up, of course.)

Re: epson salt baths: I was thinking of bath salts specifically in my reply a few posts up, but maybe the epsom salt is better. I don't really know, but my granddaughter heard somewhere (internet probably) that epsom salts are 'good for acne' and in that it helps reduce inflammation, I certainly can't say it wouldn't. She soaked in epsom salt baths two or three times while I was there last month and I bought her a new bag of it before I left (as she had used up all what was left of the box they had in the house.) So maybe I should just keep in touch and ask her how often she is bathing in the Epsom Salts bath and when I see her next month see if it looks like there is any improvement. Then think about other bath salts (or not.)

I use 100% salt bars and so does my daughter and they help us both. My youngest daughter (also an adult), still fights some cystic acne. She makes a past of clay, AC and salt using it as a spot treatment. It helps her practically overnight.

I will make some salt bars, but since everyone says they have to cure for so long, maybe I should buy some from one of you wonderful people and I can send them to her sooner than waiting for a long cure.

The Clay, AC & Salt spot treatment sounds great, too. Which kind of clay does your daughter use? I have bentonite clay and maybe one or two others, but don't remember which ones right now.

~~~~~~

And to clear up (or at least limit) the speculation of what med she is on, it's not for the acne. It's for the depression and it's not a steroid. I don't know if DIL has spoken to a doc about the acne med she was wanting to find out about. But it's also possible the doc would have said 'first things first'. It's best to introduce only one new medication at a time. Otherwise if or when complications arise, one doesn't always know which is the culprit.

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful suggestions. You have no idea how much I appreciate each one's contributions. Each and every one of you has made an effort to provide information that may help a beautiful 16 year old girl whom you have never met, and it warms my heart how helpful everyone here tries to be all of the time!

....It's best to introduce only one new medication at a time. Otherwise if or when complications arise, one doesn't always know which is the culprit....
Not sure if you saw my last reply here, somebody keeps deleting them

No, my DIL is really quite frugal, so no dryer sheets. And she uses FOCA laundry detergent, probably because it's what she's used to and because it is inexpensive. I don't think that the ingredients in FOCA are that problematic.

I will forward your cod liver oil link to my DIL because I am sure she find it interesting. I know my granddaughter would take it if she believed it would help and it has no record of interacting with her medication (I looked it up, of course.)

Re: epson salt baths: I was thinking of bath salts specifically in my reply a few posts up, but maybe the epsom salt is better. I don't really know, but my granddaughter heard somewhere (internet probably) that epsom salts are 'good for acne' and in that it helps reduce inflammation, I certainly can't say it wouldn't. She soaked in epsom salt baths two or three times while I was there last month and I bought her a new bag of it before I left (as she had used up all what was left of the box they had in the house.) So maybe I should just keep in touch and ask her how often she is bathing in the Epsom Salts bath and when I see her next month see if it looks like there is any improvement. Then think about other bath salts (or not.)

I will make some salt bars, but since everyone says they have to cure for so long, maybe I should buy some from one of you wonderful people and I can send them to her sooner than waiting for a long cure.

The Clay, AC & Salt spot treatment sounds great, too. Which kind of clay does your daughter use? I have bentonite clay and maybe one or two others, but don't remember which ones right now.

~~~~~~

And to clear up (or at least limit) the speculation of what med she is on, it's not for the acne. It's for the depression and it's not a steroid. I don't know if DIL has spoken to a doc about the acne med she was wanting to find out about. But it's also possible the doc would have said 'first things first'. It's best to introduce only one new medication at a time. Otherwise if or when complications arise, one doesn't always know which is the culprit.

Thanks to everyone for your very helpful suggestions. You have no idea how much I appreciate each one's contributions. Each and every one of you has made an effort to provide information that may help a beautiful 16 year old girl whom you have never met, and it warms my heart how helpful everyone here tries to be all of the time!

The long cure is for the increase in lather, and it also makes the bar milder, but it could probably be used sooner than 6 months. I have a few (not sure how many over 6 months) ready that I could send you. I made a couple of batches in early January, and could send some of those as well. PM me if you want them. Then you could make a batch and tell her to use them last.

Latest posts

Back