Techniques for DIY soap stamps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found some threads about DIY soap stamps but some of the links that go externally are broken and the threads are older. Has anyone here found a good way to DIY a soap stamp? Or, if there is a thread you can point me to, please do. There’s a particular style of anchor I would like to make, as well as some other nautical or marine type impressions that would fit my coastal/marine theme. I can’t justify buying custom stamps for the amount of soap I make. I’m pretty good with crafting and think I could pull off resin casting if that will work. I may even have a two part resin kit hidden away somewhere. I could glue the stamp to a block of wood, or something like that.

Here’s a pic of a fondant mold I ordered. If I can’t use it for making stamps, I will make a cake! We have lots of Navy veterans in our family, and my son was a rower in high school and college, so I can never go wrong with the nautical theme.

B82A032D-582C-4C8C-8C3D-13ADAC80B9A1.jpeg

And here’s an inspiration soap

30D28A08-BEF9-425E-8352-26350DDFFCBE.jpeg
Thanks for any help!

I made my first soap stamp out of sculpy! It wasn't that difficult and it never broke- but it didn't have the crisp edges I wanted and it was too big, making the soap crack when I used it pretty often.

It actually isn't that expensive to have a stamp made though, you'll spend more money on the resin kit.

Auntie Clara did a tutorial about making a resin soap stamp some years ago. It is not available, as far as I can tell, on her blog or elsewhere on the 'net. I follow her on Facebook, so maybe she posted it only on FB.

Briefly, she carved a bar of soap with the image she wanted to turn into a stamp. She created a dam around the edges of the carved surface with (polymer?) clay to form a cavity. Then casting resin was poured into the cavity. After the resin hardened, she removed the main portion of the soap, then she soaked the stamp in water to loosen the remaining soap residue. A little sanding to refine the edges of the stamp, and it was ready for use.

Here are images from the tutorial. I added file names that are descriptive of what is going on in the photo.

I want to emphasize these images are the work of Auntie Clara (Clara Lindberg), not me. If I could find her tute on the internet, I would provide a link, rather than post these pictures.

If anyone has a link to an actual tutorial, please let me know. I will edit this post to show the link. I want to make sure she gets full credit for this information.

0 matls n casting resin.jpg 1 create design on paper.jpg 2 lightly trace design into soap.jpg 3 deepen design.jpg 4 clean out debris.jpg 5 make dam using presstick.jpg 6 mold around soap.jpg 7.jpg 8 pour casting resin into mold.jpg

Remaining images are in my next post...

Last edited:
I don't know if these would be of any interest, but I was experimenting with the silhouette cameo and foam sheets a while back.silhouette.JPG
I cut the foam with a deep blade and put them in the bottom of the mold and after unmolding filled the recesses with melt and pour. Not really stamps but just an idea.:smallshrug:

I don't know if these would be of any interest, but I was experimenting with the silhouette cameo and foam sheets a while back.View attachment 39836
I cut the foam with a deep blade and put them in the bottom of the mold and after unmolding filled the recesses with melt and pour. Not really stamps but just an idea.:smallshrug:

Great idea to try. Thanks scard! This makes me think that I might be able to make a negative mold, where the foam makes a false bottom and the soap ends up with an anchor relief - e.g. a simple version of the inspiration soap.

I don't know if these would be of any interest, but I was experimenting with the silhouette cameo and foam sheets a while back.View attachment 39836
VERY clever! Now I know what I'm doing this weekend.....:) :)

Auntie Clara did a tutorial about making a resin soap stamp some years ago. It is not available, as far as I can tell, on her blog or elsewhere on the 'net. I follow her on Facebook, so maybe she posted it only on FB.

Briefly, she carved a bar of soap with the image she wanted to turn into a stamp. She created a dam around the edges of the carved surface with (polymer?) clay to form a cavity. Then casting resin was poured into the cavity. After the resin hardened, she removed the main portion of the soap, then she soaked the stamp in water to loosen the remaining soap residue. A little sanding to refine the edges of the stamp, and it was ready for use.

Here are images from the tutorial. I added file names that are descriptive of what is going on in the photo.

I want to emphasize these images are the work of Auntie Clara (Clara Lindberg), not me. If I could find her tute on the internet, I would provide a link, rather than post these pictures.

If anyone has a link to an actual tutorial, please let me know. I will edit this post to show the link. I want to make sure she gets full credit for this information.

View attachment 39814 View attachment 39815 View attachment 39816 View attachment 39817 View attachment 39818 View attachment 39819 View attachment 39820 View attachment 39821 View attachment 39822

Remaining images are in my next post...
here is a link to her facebook, it seems to be public. https://www.facebook.com/pg/auntieclaras/photos/?tab=album&album_id=581228291892847

I haven’t made an anchor soap yet, but here are a couple of soaps I stamped with the resin stamps I made. I had the resin on hand, so I gave it a shot. As @dixiedragon mentions above, resin is not cheap. On the other hand, I was able to make a dozen small stamps with a 2 ounce mix (1 oz of each part of the 2-part resin), which was half of what I have. Since these stamps have a lot of surface area, it’s important to stamp the soap as soon as possible, before it gets hard.

73A07FB3-5B55-4FCF-B8D0-E25A141845E0.jpeg 939D5531-B676-4492-AEFC-75F1568FC815.jpeg

Latest posts

Back