Technique help please - tilt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckscent

Reaction score
Ok, I nees some help please, how do you do a tilt? I have tried several times and every time I lean it the other way the first tilt pour moves towrds the center. Improbably am not making any sense. Inhave tried different stages of trace and all the same results. Thanks

When I alternate the tilt, it always runs to the center but that's part of what I like about it! I usually pour at light to med trace so it doesn't get muddled. By alternating the tilt, I usually get each side to overlap a bit under the last one. Is there a specific look you're going for?

Let the individual layers solidify before pouring another layer or changing the angle. Here are a couple ways you can do that, but there may be others. With either of these it helps to bring your oil & lye mixture just to emulsion before splitting and adding fragrance and colorant to the batter comprising the individual layers. Then bring the individual layers to trace. If you take the full batter all the way to trace before the split, things will move quicker than you might prefer, especially for the latter layers, and especially if you've already added fragrance and colorant.

One - add an accelerating fragrance to an individual layer right before you pour it. You want to pour it when it is still fluid enough to settle on the level (or tilt), but then let it sit and harden before repeating that process for the next layer. It sounds easy but it does require conscious thought.

Two - after pouring each layer you can pop the mold in the freezer (or outside if it is cold enough) to make that layer solidify quicker. This technique also works best if you don't add all of your fragrance or colorant up front, since those can make the rest of your unpoured batter solidify too quickly even if they aren't big accelerators.

Back