Teal from Ultramarine Blue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorpheusPA

Reaction score
and chromium oxide green--has anybody done this?

I'm looking to make an Ocean Breeze type soap, with a saturated blue (ultramarine blue and a dash of black iron oxide for depth), white (titanium dioxide) and teal.

I have on-hand plenty of ultramarine blue and chromium oxide green, but no other greens that will work (the others are bleeding).

Does anybody have any idea of what ratio of ultramarine blue and chromium oxide to use to get a decent teal hue?

Thanks in Advance!

Try 2:1. I've made teal using them but unfortunately I'm bad and don't usually measure out my colorants. I just mix till I get a color I like. I mix them in a bowl and test it on a piece of paper towel till I get the color I'm look for. Hydrated chromium oxide is a nice teal on it's own. Sometimes I add a bit more green or a bit more blue depending on what I want. Sorry I'm not more help.

Try 2:1. I've made teal using them but unfortunately I'm bad and don't usually measure out my colorants. I just mix till I get a color I like. I mix them in a bowl and test it on a piece of paper towel till I get the color I'm look for. Hydrated chromium oxide is a nice teal on it's own. Sometimes I add a bit more green or a bit more blue depending on what I want. Sorry I'm not more help.

2:1 is a fantastic help, thank you! If I have to adjust the hue from there, no problem at all (I tend to also mix until I like the color, so I understand perfectly). I just needed a starting point.

I'll be extremely happy if it turns out in the teal range somewhere and I'm not particular about where in the range it ends up.

I would start with blue and than add green. That's how I come up with teal. I have no precise ratios lol.
I have few basic neons and just mix them to make other colours.

I agree with Morpheus, 2:1 ratio is a good amount to try. I used 1/8 tsp hydrated chrome green and 1/16 tsp ultramarine blue per cup of soap. I get a nice teal blue with that mix. Of course those amounts are hard to measure, but the ratio is approximately correct. When I poured in my mold I wasn't very impressed with my colors, but after it gelled...wow. The colors really popped. Here's the finished soap. I used lavender and cedar from Bramble Berry. Hope that helps.

1427406070963.jpg

It worked beautifully, although I ended up being on the blue side of teal (since this was a marine soap).

Unfortunately, the Ocean Breeze scent riced and separated and no amount of beating it into submission helped. I had to toss it in a pot and hot process it on the stove.

So the whole loaf is now kind of a peculiar battleship gray (that will be a grayish-blue with green undertones as it dries) and sort of has the look of granite about it.

I may just call it "Battleship" and tell everybody I meant to do that. It does smell nice...very oceanic.

Bummer Morpheus. At least your soap smells good. I know what you mean about the grayish-blue color :grin. My last floral soap riced like crazy. I stick blended it into submission but the resulting color was uh...not what I was going for. I've also found that if I did not use enough blue (or a high ph blue) colorant I have gotten grayish blue colors in my finished soap. FYI, the lavender and cedar scent from Bramble Berry does accelerate slightly in CP soap but is manageable. It's not oceanic but it does smell slightly lavender with clean herbal pine or forest notes.

Back