Teaching Soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, I don't understand the question.
I mean when we make cp soaps we give the recipe to the students. Then later we ask them to do by themselves at that point how do you explain to measure lye proposition.

Then later we ask them to do by themselves at that point how do you explain to measure lye proposition.[/QUOTE
Do you mean lye concentration? I explain to them that every oil has a different SAP value so any changes to the recipe should be done using a lye calculator and direct them to soapcalc.net. The most that I cover in lye concentration is that there must be equal amounts lye and water to properly dissolve lye. The recipe I give is printed from soapcalc, so I tell them to use the same settings as the original recipe in any new recipes. The people that I teach are occasional hobbyists, or just trying it out, so I am not concerned that they need to understand the affects of lye concentration, that is something they can read up and learn on their own.

Back