Tea Tree Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a customer who takes care of people's feet, most elderly, some diabetic, and she requested a lotion for feet with Tea Tree Essential Oil. So I can find safe percentages but does anyone have experience with how much would actually smell agreeable? That is, to people who would find that scent agreeable!

Oof! I gotta blend tea tree with lots o' other things to tolerate it! Using eocalc.com, I have enjoyed revive, modern, sheer, and the spearlymptus whatever. Just saw lavish spa which has moved to the top of my list.

how much would actually smell agreeable? That is, to people who would find that scent agreeable!
Actually, those that use it and like it get used to the scent! No worries. 😁

SHORT STORY:
When my first bottle of Tea Tree EO arrived, years ago, I put a few drops on a cotton ball to sniff it. It smelled like green tea to me. I left the cotton ball on the table next to my chair and went on to do other things. Later that afternoon, when I sat down to watch the evening news, I thought, "What is that awful stink?! It smells like dirty gym socks!" Lo and behold, the odor was emanating from that cotton ball! LOL!

That being said, as I've gotten used to it; I like the smell. It's very distinctive. I use Tea Tree a lot in soap at 5% for a Special Order for a customer and for my neighbor who shovels my sidewalk and drive way. It's very popular.

For medicinal applications, 5% in a carrier oil like MCT oil, Jojoba Oil, Aloe Gel or Witch Hazel (astringent) Toner is effective for acne, nail fungus, anti-baterial and other applications you can research on line.

You can go higher than 5% if need be. It's one of those so called "safe" EOs that can be used straight on the skin with little adverse effect -- for short periods of time. Lavender EO also suits that purpose but you don't hear about it very often

From Eden Botanicals - I use this site for research:

Tea Tree Essential Oil
Safety Considerations: Skin sensitization (low risk); old or oxidized oil should be avoided. A maximum dermal use level of 15% is recommended. Dilute before using. A patch test should be performed before use for those with sensitive skin.

For the best price on Australian Tea Tree:
Sun Pure Botanicals

HTH :computerbath:

Check the IFRA usage certificate for the Tea tree oil you are planning to use as I have seen the maximum recommended percentage vary between suppliers.

For example https://docs.thesage.com/ifra/302-105 Tea Tree Essential 49th IFRA.pdf

Tea Tree oil is either a like it or hate it type of fragrance. To me it has a medicinal type scent that I don't mind but other people I know hate it.

Check the IFRA usage certificate for the Tea tree oil you are planning to use as I have seen the maximum recommended percentage vary between suppliers.

For example https://docs.thesage.com/ifra/302-105 Tea Tree Essential 49th IFRA.pdf

Tea Tree oil is either a like it or hate it type of fragrance. To me it has a medicinal type scent that I don't mind but other people I know hate it.
I would trust the link from Zany, not the info from the sage Sage. IFRA is for testing fragrances and Tea Tree Oil is an essential oil. I do not have my Tissarand book handy or I would look it up.

I love the Tea Tree Essential Oil from Sun Pure Botanicals as Zany mentioned above, and I have never had any shipping problems with them even recently.

ETA: I recall some posting about some sites with EO calculators so maybe do a search about EO usage.

Last edited:
IFRA standards apply to all raw materials used to fragrance products including essential oils. If the essential oil is being used as anything other than fragrance (for example as an anti-fungal) then the product might be classified as a drug and come under other regulations.

Tea tree oil can contain methyl eugenol which is a restricted ingredient according to IFRA standards. Because the level of methyl eugenol varies between different suppliers of tea tree oil the IFRA maximum usage for the essential oil will change depending on this level. The maximum usage level also changes depending on what type of product you are making e.g. soap, lotion, body wash, perfume. (https://ifrafragrance.org/standards/IFRA_STD_100.pdf)

The 15% usage level for Tea Tree recommended by Tisserand would most likely be based on Tea Tree with low levels of methyl eugenol.

Back