Tea Tree oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plschrader

Reaction score
do you think tea tree essential oil looses its potency over time? I was given a large bottle. The bottle is brown. It smells appropriate.

I've never had it loose potency, even when quite old. As long as it smells ok, I say use it.

Well, essential oils do oxidize. The smell will change and I wouldn’t rely on them for therapeutic values anymore either. The speed of oxidation will depend on the oil itself and the ambient temperature. In a cold climate I wouldn’t worry too much, it would generally take a really long time before they go bad I believe. I live in a hot climate though, so I keep them in the fridge, otherwise after a few years some of them started going bad. For a big bottle, I advise transferring some in a smaller bottle, like 15 ml one, for common usage, and leave the big one as much unopened, untouched and away from heat as possible.

Interesting. I am sure you are correct about the smell; not as strong as it once was but it will still heal a small cut overnight. I just used the last of it last night as a matter of fact. Bought it through my niece who is a Melaleuca dealer. Will order more from her. I do like their products. Their cleaning products are, in my opinion, exceptional. Never used what was in this bottle for soaping but always for the occasional cut or sting.

I too have a bottle that is at least 10 years old. Brown bottle . Works great.
Only thing I have used it on in Soap was a Facial Charcoal and it seemed to disappear. Course I didn't use much as it is strong to begin with.

Latest posts

Back