TD water or oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where do you buy your TD? I used olive oil, it mixed, but it looks lumpy so I wasnt sure if I could use it. I had already pure the olive oil when I posted.

Is it Nurture TD? it is amazing - completely dissolves with minimal stirring in some water.
Nurture TD? I get it from Bulk Apothecary.
I recently switched to water TD and am so happy with it. I had issues with spots in the oil TD no matter what I tried.
I saw that using the oil it did clump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use 35% lye too. What is crackling?

It's where you get islands of opaque soap with darker and more transparent soap running between them (sometimes misnamed glycerin rivers). It can look a little like chipping paint. It's often associated with TD but can occur without it, so the TD is perhaps just highlighting it. It can happen with soap that goes through the molten "gel" phase and has a larger amount of water. With a higher lye concentration it seems you can gel the soap without problems.

I have a baggie of TD that I bought from Nature's Garden that says "oil dispersable". I tried using it with oil twice and both times it was difficult to mix in, and I had un-mixed little chunks in my finished soap. I decided to try it with water instead, and it dissolved instantly with very little stirring. I haven't had a TD spot in soap since, and haven't looked back.

I have both the water and oil TD, I use water if it is called for and oil if it is called for. Mixing TD with oil in a baggie is certainly a good idea and it won't be nearly as messy.

My water dispersable TD is a pleasure to use. It disperses quickly and effortlessly. I used it to make this soap:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=572626&postcount=18

To avoid crackling don't use full water. My most common lye concentration is 33%. That soap was made with 35% lye. No prob with "glycerin rivers" and the like.

I am so annoyed. I watched a video which said to mix the TD with oil. I had trouble getting it mixed. Fingers crossed it is not another speckle disaster.

I wish I had stuck with water :(

I use the Oil TD, I mix it ahead of time with Glycerin just until it is thick. When I make my soap batch I add a little of the warmed oil to the amount of TD I want to use and mix until smooth before I add it to my batch. I rarely get crackle or unmixed speckles, but when I do get crackle, sometimes it looks pretty cool.

I use the Oil TD, I mix it ahead of time with Glycerin just until it is thick. When I make my soap batch I add a little of the warmed oil to the amount of TD I want to use and mix until smooth before I add it to my batch. I rarely get crackle or unmixed speckles, but when I do get crackle, sometimes it looks pretty cool.

made my soap and it looks like a little crackle. I used the TD that had oil.
It doesnt look bad, I just was hoping it would not happen. I will leave it the God of Soap, and let Him work!

My water dispersable TD is a pleasure to use. It disperses quickly and effortlessly. I used it to make this soap:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=572626&postcount=18

To avoid crackling don't use full water. My most common lye concentration is 33%. That soap was made with 35% lye. No prob with "glycerin rivers" and the like.
My normal lye concentration is 33% and yep water td will crackle for me. But then many times my soaping does not seem to follow how it works for others. Such as lard going completely DOS for me...:???:

My TD is from bramble berry. The label doesn't say for oil or water. Website says for both. Anyone have same product?
Answered my own Question my titanium dioxide must be for water because I just tried it in water and had instantly better results than using it in oil. So for anybody that might be buying from brambleberry beware that it says it is for oil too but it is not

Last edited by a moderator:
Back