Tattoo ink for coloring soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I was just reading about colorants in soap making and how they tend to fade with time.
And I see people using different pigments while dyeing.
So it came to my mind that maybe it would be possible to use ink for tattooing as they are made out of pigments and glycerine. The ink is skin safe obviously.
Does anyone know more about this or have ever heard about this?
Ofc that ink is also super expensive. But.
My friends have a tattoo studio where they have loads of spare inks and are willing to give me a bunch.
If no one has experience in this, I am willing to make a test batch.

I wouldn't. There's too much unknown. Like what pigments are in the inks, what possible contaminants are in there, if adding NaOH to any of the pigments will cause a bad reaction.
Dyes, lakes and natural colorants can fade, but most micas and mineral pigments will not. I would recommend those instead.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tattoo_ink
https://medermislaserclinic.com/blog/what-are-tattoo-inks-made-from/

If you are going to try it, you need to reach each ingredient listed on the ink to make sure it:

A) doesn't include alcohol or solvents
They don't mix well with lye

B) that the pigment isn't a metal based pigment
Metal contamination in soap will probably lead to DOS problems

C) to make sure the pigments aren't poisonous
Tattoo inks aren't usually regulated by food and drug agencies they are sort of dismissed as "cosmetics" and ignored by them despite some of the ingredient being REALLY sketchy (*cough*metals*cough*) from a safety perspective. Keep in mind too that what's determined to be "safe" for a substance is often comes down to how concentrated or dilluted that substance is in a product.

So experiment with caution???

And if a person has dry or cracked skin to begin with, they may wind up with stained hands.

Latest posts

Back