Tapioca Starch in Lotion Bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am researching recipes for making my first lotion bars (I know @Zing you are fainting right now lol). Anyway, I want to add tapioca starch to them. I can find lots of info ABOUT adding it to the recipe, but not how much in proportion to my other ingredients.

And another thought that just occurred to me is when do I add it during the process?

I just went and looked up my recipe and for 7.5 oz of butters/wax/oil I use 1T of tapioca starch. This is my sweet spot but you can adjust up or down depending on your recipe.
I add the tapioca at the very end just before I pour into my molds. It does tend to clump, so I have a dedicated milk frother just for lotion bars to make sure it's evenly incorporated.

Marie at Humblebee & Me has a video that focuses on how to make body butters feel more luxurious using starch additives. I don’t think she touches on lotion bars, but maybe some of the info she provides will be useful.
That video link is for the turtle stamp, prob meant for my other post.

(Heading to my other post to see if you posted a body butter video over there LOL)

What does the tapioca starch do? 🌸
It cuts the greasiness a bit. Personally, I prefer a bit of isopropyl myristate, aka IPM. It mixes in more easily than starches (no clumping) and gives a lovely finish. Of course, starches are nice because they can be purchased at a local store and tend to be cheaper. But I have some IPM from a destash so that's what I tend to use.

I watched the video and was intrigued. So I took some bars and remelted to test and get feedback on.
Version 1 - standard @Zing lotion bars
Version 2 - same with 10% cornstarch added
Version 3 - same with 10% kaolin clay added

The official testers (aka me, DH and the ladies in my office lol) tried them all at various times on fresh clean hands.

The results were consistent. Everyone loves the standard recipe, version 2 with the added cornstarch gave a nice silky smooth bonus and was the favorite; and version 3 with kaolin clay was actually more thick, sticky, greasy feeling - the least preferred.

Conclusion, abandon version 3 and just for fun, create version 4 with the beeswax up a smidge, as @DeeAnna suggested. The testers are happy to keep testing. 🌸

When I added fine rice flour to an anhydrous skin balm (aka soft lotion bar), the rice flour did create a powdery feeling on the skin. The balm with flour less greasy than the version without. Problem is I didn't care for the lingering powdery feel any better than a greasy-slick-gooey feel.

I think reformulating the recipe to use fats that don't feel as greasy on the skin -- using meadowfoam rather than olive oil, for example -- gives me the results I want.

When I added fine rice flour to an anhydrous skin balm (aka soft lotion bar), the rice flour did create a powdery feeling on the skin. The balm with flour less greasy than the version without. Problem is I didn't care for the lingering powdery feel any better than a greasy-slick-gooey feel.

I think reformulating the recipe to use fats that don't feel as greasy on the skin -- using meadowfoam rather than olive oil, for example -- gives me the results I want.

Agree with using higher/faster absorbency oils and butters. Currently using this chart as guide to the oils absorption maze: Absorption Rates of Carrier Oils | Beneficial Botanicals
Also am going to try what @cmzaha suggested and use isopropyl mystrate
Edited to say: Isopropyl Myristate (ISP)

Back