Tamarind Extract

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rattanjeet

Reaction score
Hi, how can i make Tamarind Extract using Tamarind Pulp. Its fibre will spoil the soap.. can I make it home?

Keep in mind that tamarind contains a lot of acid (tartaric). Compensate for it in the lye calculator, otherwise you could easily mess up lye concentration/superfat.

Keep in mind that tamarind contains a lot of acid (tartaric). Compensate for it in the lye calculator, otherwise you could easily mess up lye concentration/superfat.
This is in the MP Forum, so the OP is talking about adding to purchased MP base.

Hi, how can i make Tamarind Extract using Tamarind Pulp. Its fibre will spoil the soap.. can I make it home?
Once you make the extract, I suggest testing it in a small amount of Melt & Pour. Be sure to follow the manufactuer's guidance regarding maximum additives to the Melt & Pour Base. That should give you your answer about if it will interfere with the integrity of the soap.

I have read that people have had trouble with it in the past in CP & HP soap, but I don't know at what percentages it was used. (CP = Cold Process; HP = Hot Process)

There is a youtube video for making tamarind soap (using the CP method) wherein Ayesha explains how she prepared the tamarind prior to use in CP soap. It may not be exactly the process you are looking for, but it is one possible method.

And this video is of making Melt & Pour soap with added tamarind juice & turmeric:

I don't know if either would be useful to you, in what you are trying to achieve.

Also an older thread there at SMF talks about tamarind in soap: CP soap adding plant extracts (tamarind, ...)

Fair enough about M&P 🤭. But unless the M&P is full syndet, it has still soap (fatty acid salts) in it, and fatty acid salts react with free acids to give off free fatty acids. That looks unsightly (cloudy), might impart lathering, has weird skin feel, and may even smell off.
And tamarind contains not just a bit acid, but about as much as lemon juice.

Fair enough about M&P 🤭. But unless the M&P is full syndet, it has still soap (fatty acid salts) in it, and fatty acid salts react with free acids to give off free fatty acids. That looks unsightly (cloudy), might impart lathering, has weird skin feel, and may even smell off.
And tamarind contains not just a bit acid, but about as much as lemon juice.
Which is why I suggested trying it out in a small portion following manufacturer's recommendations regarding maximum additives.

But just as a point of interest, Tamarind soap is quite commonly sold in Asian markets, so making soap with tamarind is very definitely done.

Back