Tallow soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akajoos

Reaction score
Im sure this has its own thread somewhere but I'm new here so i thought I'd just ask. :)
One thing that I don't understand is why people are so anti-tallow and lard. I’ll be rendering fat from a butcher near me and the only fat that I receive is from organic, grass-fed, HAPPY cows and pigs. The truth is that these animals are raised for food and if he doesn’t give me the suet it gets thrown ou. I feel like that is an incredible waste.
I know it's probably a pretty touchy subject with some people. And i completely respect vegetarians and vegans. but what have been people's receptions to your own tallow soap? Do you have a good amount of people that like it or are people just too misinformed and steer away? I'm not trying to start a business or sell anything right now. Just wanting to make soap with supplies that are readily available to me. And to gift to people or have them test them out haha. Thanks for any input!!

I can't comment on people negative reaction to animal fats. I assume that it is part of the media push that animal fats are unhealthy.

I get beef fat locally and I render it myself. I made my first batch of soap today with 80% tallow and 20% coconut. It still has to cure but I'm very happy with how the process worked.

I think it's a great idea to use what is available to us locally.

@mr_dove
Thanks for the input! I've just seen read lots of things where people won't use anything with tallow or lard in it and some even going so far as to not use anything you make because you have other products that have animal products in them. I was just wondering how people respond to them. :)
Yea I think I'm gonna formulate something with the tallow (once I render it) and coconut and olive oil. But I'm not sure yet. I've just been reading through the forums. This is only my second day on here. :)

I'm not a judgmental person; please keep this in mind as you read my response.

Despite being curious about using beef tallow in soap, I haven't yet, mostly b/c so many of my soap's fans are vegged out. I agree with you that using tallow prevents waste, and I agree that keeping it local is best. But many ppl, even carnivores, express disgust at animal fat in soap (despite it's prevalence in the commercial soap they currently use.)

I won't use lard, b/c I've been following Levitical dietary laws for a few years. I realize that I'm the exception in this regard.

So, yes, you're right: using tallow in soap makes sense, from a conservation standpoint. By all accounts, it makes good soap, and soap, and it's way cheaper than palm oil. But, depending on your prospective customer base, it may not be marketable. If you're selling, it may not make sense.

(For the record, a lot of environmentalists boycott palm wherever they can, due to deforestation concerns.)

But, I do take exception to the notion that lard and tallow come from "HAPPY" animals. It doesn't. Even if they were raised ethically prior to slaughter, the fact remains that tallow and lard come from DEAD animals. Veg folk will not forget that.

hth
-Rob

As a new soaper you shouldn't worry about what other people like in their soaps. Make your soaps for your self. Animal fats to me are fantastic in soap but a lot of people don't like them for different reasons. Some just don't like the way they feel. Try different fats and oils and you will come up with something you love. It might take a while but you will find that special combination that fits you and your skin. Have fun. Sissy

I am so pro animal products that are locally sourced. Many people dont think twice when they buy a bar of dial or irish spring, because it is such a well known brand and many have emotional connections to it (Grandma always smelled like talc, do I have talk) that sort of thing.

When people try a new product the come to it without any of the emotional connections and want to know why your §4.00 a bar soap is better then the yardleys. Many people dont dont look at t lables on store bought, they expect to not be able to understand them. But when you have Lard and lye listed, it becomes alarming.

Not one person that I have gifted a bar of soap to has EVER even asked what kinds of oils or fats I have used. When I did ask one person whether it would bother her she looked at me funny and said, "Why would it?" I really thing that it is a very politicized issue. I have loved every bar of soap that we make with lard and tallow. Make soap that you like.

I've us lard have not tried tallow yet , lard works good in the soap I have and also make all veg gives a choice . it's good to hear they wait till the animals are DEAD before they take there fat , I just wish the nuts, seeds, and plants did not have be pressed alive.

Last edited:
It does depend on where you live more than anything. Here are lots of farmers- beef, pork and sheep. Plus there is a big Native American population and they value the use of all parts of an animal, not letting anything go to waste. Where else can you get heart and kidneys but the N.A. owned supermarket? (I use them to make dog food.) Not once have I been asked for a vegetarian soap. But there are other areas where AO soaps would be totally rejected. I respect vegans, but personally don't understand those people who will take animals into their body as food but not put it in their skin.

I came from a very poor section of the south, so our motto was "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without!" I love my piggy & tallow soaps, and so do all my neighbors & friends! I get all my soap making fats and oils at walmart or sam's club, so I save a ton of $$$ on shipping...and I believe lard is the poor man's shea butter...love the way my skin feels after bathing.

btw, nobody has ever questioned me about them thru all the years of soaping...very few people read labels...if it's pretty and smells good then that's all that matters.

Different strokes for different folks, but anyone who has been veg/vegan for more than a few minutes knows that a lot of soap is made with animal products, and many will ask. Others will read labels, and they usually say something positive about an all-veg soap.

But, yeah, most ppl don't care at all about what's in the soap, which is weird to me b/c so many handmade small-scale soapers charge an arm and a leg for their bars. When you're paying that much, I guess you ought to know. But, a lot of ppl stay uninformed. A friend of mine was listening in while I was explaining to another mutual acquaintance about how my soap is all-veg, and he made a sarcastic comment about like "yeah, as if all soap isn't animal friendly". When i told him that a lot of soap is made with BT or pork, he said that's "just stupid". Turns out, he uses Dove (that's what his wife buys.) :shock:

I'm with Sistrum, Angel Momma, Ruthie, and Heartsong. Make soap that suits you and don't worry about pleasing all people all of the time. I think the anti-animal-fat-in-soap contingent is more visible and vocal on the internet soapmaking forums, so it is easy to get the impression that this type of thinking is more common in the general population than it really is.

My family and I live in rural areas where people still have big gardens, like to hunt and fish, buy locally raised meat, and understand all about supporting local agriculture. Not one of the locals has questioned me about my ingredients. Some of my urban friends ~might~ be inclined to ask about my use of lard in soap, but I suspect most of them would be more thrilled about getting handmade soap than worrying about what's in it.

Folks are far more interested in stuff like "Will it be gentle enough for my face?", "Will it help my itchy skin?", "What scent is that?", "How did you make it look like that?", and my favorite: "Ooh, beer in soap -- I like to drink it and cook with it and now I can wash with it!"

I made one batch of unscented soap using veg oils only. I am getting a real lukewarm response to that one, even though it is a good looking soap that lathers well. If a vegetarian friend asked me, yes, I'd make more, but otherwise probably not.

Go for it, tallow makes an awesome soap. In my experience not many people care about animal fats in soap, it is a wash off product, some do but very few.

btw, it's been my experience that the ones that crab about animal fats also are anti-palm oil, too...they don't last long in the country & are usually big city folks...i'm working on a new soap label & i'm including the words "country-style soap."

I used to sell vegan-type soaps at the seattle area markets and the further you got from there, to where regular country folks lived the less "stressful" they were about their soap...must be something in the water in the big cities-LOL!

It is hard to please everyone, you will exhaust yourself if you try. I live in So. Cal and a lot of people here read the labels on everything. I sell all veg. soaps because that is the kind of area I live in, but occasionally someone will scoff at palm oil even though I use the "sustainable". I'd prefer to use lard, it is cheaper and I prefer it over palm in soap. I don't eat beef or pork but I do realize the majority of the population does and it makes sense to use the entire animal. Ironically, soap does not have to be labeled and "all natural soap" can be made with lard and tallow, just be honest if someone asks.

Wow!! Thanks everyone!! I'm not sure how to reply to specific people on here but I appreciate all the thoughts, encouragement and experiences!
That's good to hear everyone's reception and your right, I'm doing this mainly for family and close friends and if other people want it too.:) But it's mainly something I've always wanted to do since I was about 9-10. I'm so excited to get started!

No offense taken Rob. when I said the animals are happy I was saying that as in they live a much better quality life unlike factory farming. That's all. I understand that they have to die and while that's sad I'd rather respect their life by using what I can. ;) ;)

Kate

Just for the experience, all the soap I made and sold last year had lard in it. Every single bar for the entire year. ONE person questioned it. One. So I stopped making lard soap. This year, after several months, I missed my lard soap so much I started making it again about 2 months ago. My first couple batches are cured and I am in heaven using it. I just love a good lard soap. I am reworking lard soap back into my offerings and I just ordered my first batch of tallow to try. I plan to make soap with tallow in it too and sell it once I get my recipe the way I want.

Now I no longer worry about using animal fats like lard and beef. I still make all vegetable soaps so customers have a choice. But I have to say the animal fat soaps tend to be some of the nicest. The only way I have been able to duplicate the lovely creaminess of lard is to use a combo of shea and palm oil. It mimics lard and fells similar and is very creamy but not quite the same.

Wow that's pretty awesome candybee!!! I keep reading different threads on the form here and that's what I'm seeing, is people really love to use the lard and tallow. I can't wait to figure out my basic soap recipe for tallow. I've found a pretty good vegetable one, though I want to tweak it to not have palm oil in it. :)

this is just a nice, creamy "family-style" nuthin' fancy soap recipe you might like to try...makes a hard bar, too:

30% tallow
30% olive
25% coconut
10% lard (can't do without my piggy)
5% castor

I soap around 110-120* 5% superfat, water/lye 2:1, 2 tsp sugar to water BEFORE adding lye, add 2 oz canned coconut milk per pound of oil at thin trace...I usually add my f/o to the coconut milk & stir well...hth!

Latest posts

Back