Tallow soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dharlee

Reaction score
I made my first tallow soap over the weekend! It's a bit too soft to cut today , but I have to say WOW it's pretty! I don't mean any colors or swirls as I am not very good at that yet, but the whiteness of the bar is amazing. I have a question. (Please don't shoot me for asking too many!)

This was my recipe:

Castor Oil 5%
Coconut Oil (76 Degrees) 20%
Olive Oil 25%
Tallow (Beef) 50%
full water (not comfortable enough to change that yet)
SF 8%

I did the heat transfer method, melting the coconut oil enough to pour it out of the bag only, then the tallow was melted with the lye water. Because of this I soaped about 98 degrees. Wow it took a while to reach a trace. Is that normal? Was it because of the tallow or the coolness (or both?)

Thanks!

Tallow does trace slow, lard even slower. The temps slowed it down too. Thats the same recipe I use often except I use lard instead of tallow, its a nice soap.

full water (not comfortable enough to change that yet)
SF 8%

I WISH I had not waited to do this!!! Do a 30% concentration of lye and you will LOVE it. I made about 15 batches of soap before I thought I was comfortable, but I WISH I had not waited!

If you will be doing complicated swirls and stuff, or fast moving additives or oils, go full water...

Take the plunge!!! Makes a huge difference. I loved the un-molding faster. Not so soft at 24 hrs. :clap:

If I remember from another thread, you don't use a stick blender, do you? If not, that will really drag out the process with cooler/tallow batches

No, I always use a stick blender. I do remember someone recently saying they did not, but not me. I wouldn't have the strength not to! lol! I honestly felt tired with the SB!!:lolno::smile:

I WISH I had not waited to do this!!! Do a 30% concentration of lye and you will LOVE it. I made about 15 batches of soap before I thought I was comfortable, but I WISH I had not waited!

If you will be doing complicated swirls and stuff, or fast moving additives or oils, go full water...

Take the plunge!!! Makes a huge difference. I loved the un-molding faster. Not so soft at 24 hrs. :clap:

I will try that on my next batch! Thank you!!

Latest posts

Back