Tallow soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeroll

Reaction score
This is my first soap made with animal fat so I'm pretty excited to try it out. It's a simple recipe, just beef tallow and a little bit of castor oil, scented with lemongrass EO. I didn't use any colorant so I'm surprised it's so bright. It's hard a rock already and pretty waxy-feeling.

I finally remembered to clean up the edges BEFORE taking pictures...however, this also emphasizes the fact I can't cut in a straight line to save my soul. Clearly I need a nice wire cutter for Christmas!

006.jpg

007.jpg

Oh wow. That is bright! It looks so shiny and smooth! Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Yep, it's really that yellow. I don't know if it's just the EO or partially the tallow.....though the tallow is nice and white on its own.

Wow bright!!! Funny cuz when I've used lemongrass in an all veggie it comes out barely a slight greenish-yellow.

If I don't like the soap I can always use it as a nightlight.

LOL! Too funny!

It looks almost...edible. Like really fancy butter!

Very nice.
Let us know how it lathers.
I made a 100% tallow soap and it does not give a great lather. No bubbles at all.
The other batches that combined tallow with coconut oil or palm kernel oil were much better.

Sapwn, good timing. I gave this a test run just this morning. It's about 10 days old now and I really like the lather (this is 85% tallow and 15% castor.) It's not overly bubbly but it does give lots of creamy, thick lather and as a bonus my skin feels pretty good, especially for the winter. I'm really excited to see how it is in another few weeks.

Roseb, the EO is from a local supplier, Mile High Soaps. They do ship, though.

Latest posts

Back