Tallow Sheep %

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am planning on making soap bars using tallow from sheep for the first time. I need to know the right percentage please.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on whether you have a lot of it or you're viewing this as a semi precious commodity.I make 2 versions of deer tallow soap; one at 48 % which is an Obsidian recipe and another at 75% which was a recipe put out by a member named Yooper. With that said, you can always find tallow/lard combinations that might give you the bar of your dreams.Lots of recipes in the forum to try... I'd do some small trial batches and see what pleases you in the end...I do recall that sheep tallow is highly regarded as a soap component so you should be amply rewarded in the months to come!

I think a lot depends on whether you have a lot of it or you're viewing this as a semi precious commodity.I make 2 versions of deer tallow soap; one at 48 % which is an Obsidian recipe and another at 75% which was a recipe put out by a member named Yooper. With that said, you can always find tallow/lard combinations that might give you the bar of your dreams.Lots of recipes in the forum to try... I'd do some small trial batches and see what pleases you in the end...I do recall that sheep tallow is highly regarded as a soap component so you should be amply rewarded in the months to come!

I have some from butchering a lamb and for the fact that it's a very expensive fat to buy it anywhere, I don't want to waste any thing of it. I am planning for making it for our family and I want to mix it with some beef tallow because when I searched I found that the sheep tallow hardens very fast, but I didn't find enough information about it as not many people use it and it's not available much. I am hoping that someone here has an experience with it so I don't have to waste.

Aye - but check it out on a soap calculator and an oil with a similar profile will give you a clue as to how to use it.

As above, if you have enough to use it as a beef tallow/lard replacement, or only a little then in conjunction with lard/beef tallow

Good idea, I'll check the soapcalc, thank you for the suggestions I will consider that.

I use varying percentages of lamb tallow in most of my soaps. One of my most popular uses 70% tallow... it is such a luxurious soap, it always sells. I get mine from my girlfriend's organic lifestyle block, every time we butcher some lambs. Luckily for me, it's free...but here in NZ there are so many sheep that tallow isn't really an expensive item.

I'd say, take what you've got and make your creamiest most luxurious batch of soap yet. You won't regret it :)

I use varying percentages of lamb tallow in most of my soaps. One of my most popular uses 70% tallow... it is such a luxurious soap, it always sells. I get mine from my girlfriend's organic lifestyle block, every time we butcher some lambs. Luckily for me, it's free...but here in NZ there are so many sheep that tallow isn't really an expensive item.

I'd say, take what you've got and make your creamiest most luxurious batch of soap yet. You won't regret it :)

It's very helpful to know that, would you please tell me how hard the batter gets during the process of soap making when you use 70%pure lamb tallow?
I wish you greater success, it's nice to have lamb around, I love them.
Thank you for replying.

Why are you so concerned about how hard the batter will be? The fatty acid profile of lamb tallow is significantly different than many other hard oils/tallow. Are you trying to figure out
if you'll have time for swirls?

Why are you so concerned about how hard the batter will be? The fatty acid profile of lamb tallow is significantly different than many other hard oils/tallow. Are you trying to figure out
if you'll have time for swirls?

I want to know what to expect in my first try from someone who has enough experience with this tallow because it's different than anything I have tried so far and because I read in more than one place that it turns hard fast. I am not planning on making swirls, I want to keep it simple.

I want to know what to expect in my first try from someone who has enough experience with this tallow because it's different than anything I have tried so far and because I read in more than one place that it turns hard fast. I am not planning on making swirls, I want to keep it simple.

How much soaping experience do you have?

You could always hand stir the water, soap fairly cool, use full water, and use a recipe with plenty of olive oil to slow things down.

40% tallow
35% olive oil
20% coconut oil
5% castor

How much soaping experience do you have?

You could always hand stir the water, soap fairly cool, use full water, and use a recipe with plenty of olive oil to slow things down.

40% tallow
35% olive oil
20% coconut oil
5% castor

I started not long ago in 2012, I am only a hobbyist, I am a super busy person, I keep my soap simple with few ingredients unless I have some time to try new things. Thank you for the recipe, I have already this recipe that I was planning to use, I put it together,
50% tallow
30% OO
15% CO
5%Caster oil

That should be a fine recipe. Are you ready to give it a shot?

I was curious so I went googling around to read about sheep's tallow soap, but didn't see anything about it tracing super fast. I did see references to the fat re-solidifying quickly after it cools.

It's very helpful to know that, would you please tell me how hard the batter gets during the process of soap making when you use 70%pure lamb tallow?
I wish you greater success, it's nice to have lamb around, I love them.
Thank you for replying.

I actually find it to be quite a slow tracer. But once it gets there it goes from light to thick trace pretty fast. If I'm doing something swirly I often have to move fast to get it done, or the final layers are being glopped in on top.

But the soap it produces is heavenly

I actually find it to be quite a slow tracer. But once it gets there it goes from light to thick trace pretty fast. If I'm doing something swirly I often have to move fast to get it done, or the final layers are being glopped in on top.

But the soap it produces is heavenly

Thank you Sudsy, I know now what to expect.

That should be a fine recipe. Are you ready to give it a shot?

I was curious so I went googling around to read about sheep's tallow soap, but didn't see anything about it tracing super fast. I did see references to the fat re-solidifying quickly after it cools.

Yes, I am ready, I'll have some time this weekend. I think sudsy-kiwi made it clear what to expect. I remember I read somewhere that at the end the batter will be too thick that it has to be globbed but I didn't save the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back