Tallow question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momstop

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I get my tallow and lards from a local farm and their most recent batch of tallow “got a bit burnt” according to the owner. They’re amazing and just gave it to me so of course I figure why not.

So, will using slightly “burnt” tallow cause issues with my soap?

FYI, it looks white and normal, smell is very slightly Smokey I guess but I don’t think I would have noticed if they didn’t tell me. Pics attached.

Attachments

• F898E594-F858-457F-80CF-ADF89A8AEBB8.jpeg
    F898E594-F858-457F-80CF-ADF89A8AEBB8.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 76F28166-9FBC-4E74-B37A-886CE1BB7658.jpeg
    76F28166-9FBC-4E74-B37A-886CE1BB7658.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 13
Hey everyone!

I get my tallow and lards from a local farm and their most recent batch of tallow “got a bit burnt” according to the owner. They’re amazing and just gave it to me so of course I figure why not.

So, will using slightly “burnt” tallow cause issues with my soap?

FYI, it looks white and normal, smell is very slightly Smokey I guess but I don’t think I would have noticed if they didn’t tell me. Pics attached.

I think it will be fine. You can always try a small batch and see how it goes, but I doubt you'll have any trouble or notice anything off.
Nice that they render it for you! I have to render the fat myself and it's a bit of a pain.

I think it will be fine. You can always try a small batch and see how it goes, but I doubt you'll have any trouble or notice anything off.
Nice that they render it for you! I have to render the fat myself and it's a bit of a pain.
It really is amazing, I didn’t want to learn how to render it on my own and took a while to find a farm that did organic meats as well as render it for me. I drive an hour and a half to get it lol
Thanks for your input, I’ll try a small batch and let everyone know in case anyone is curious.

Question for you, do you find your home rendered lard to have a strong smell? Made a batch last night and used 6% essential oils but it still smells a bit like lard this morning, seems to have overpowered the lavender/Junipe/grapefruit mix I used.

Smokey smelling tallow? I'd love to smell that soap made with it but I'm weird. Use it anyway, I say.

A Soy candle maker told me of her fragrance vendor “candlemakers store” & I found very interesting FOs you may like. Hickory, wood smoke( not exact on name), Forrest, Whoopi pie, salty mariner, gun powder, gun metal , tobacco & many others I’ve never seen on sites.

I love tallow & cant find fat anymore. I render it, cleaning it 3-5 times according to how beefy tissuey dirty it is. Easy in cold weather outside as it boils up & hardens as it cools. Pour off nasty water & go at it again til no smell hard & white.

Sorry I feel I should clarify, I’ve made batches with both the tallow and lard I get from a local farm. She commented that the tallow has a Smokey smell but that soap turned out wonderfully. The one I made with the lard which was perfectly fine as far as I know seems to have eaten up my scent, even at the slightly higher rate as I usually go with 5%

My bad. I just find many hunters & campers love that smoky smell as in some raw Shea butters are smoky. Fragrance staying power is tough after months of curing. I usually add some reasonably inexpensive peppermint or cedar Virginia, or lemon EO to add a little staying power.

Latest posts

Back