Tallow and preservatives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning! My son has been after me to help him make tallow based shave soap. I’ve been researching and *think* I’ve found a good recipe to try but it doesn’t include any preservatives. I read on another forum that lack of preservatives in a tallow based soap will allow the tallow to go rancid.
I’d rather go without preservatives but I don’t want to bother making soap that will go rancid.
I’d really appreciate some guidance.
Thank you!

I have used tallow as an ingredient in CP soap and have never had trouble with the soap going rancid. If you are worried, you can add a few drops of rosemary oleoresin to the melted oils before adding lye.

Any soap can go rancid (aka DOS, dreaded orange spots). That's why soap makers, including big commercial makers, often use antioxidants (rosemary oleoresin (ROE) is one) and chelators in their soap. No matter what type of soap you make, it's worth your while to understand why these additives are useful and decide if they are worth adding to your soap.

I'm not sure why people are singling out tallow as a problem. It's not any more or less likely to turn rancid than other fats with a similar fatty acid profile. I also use tallow in soap, and can't say it's ever caused any particular problems over and above any of the other fats I use. But I do use ROE and a chelator too.

Thank you both! So, if I want to add ROE, how much would I add to a 3lb batch? Would I need to adjust other amounts or just add it with the other essential oils?And can you explain what a chelator is?

Thank you both! So, if I want to add ROE, how much would I add to a 3lb batch? Would I need to adjust other amounts or just add it with the other essential oils?And can you explain what a chelator is?
First, ROE is not an essential oil. It is a very thick oleoresin. So do not mistake Rosemary EO with Rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE). They are two different animals. Rosemary oleoresin is very thick & viscous oily resin extracted from the same plant, but it is not the same thing at all as an essential oil.

Here is a link about usage in soap as well as how it works: Rosemary oleorsin extract (ROE)

Another link for you: What is a chelator?

First, ROE is not an essential oil. It is a very thick oleoresin. So do not mistake Rosemary EO with Rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE). They are two different animals. Rosemary oleoresin is very thick & viscous oily resin extracted from the same plant, but it is not the same thing at all as an essential oil.

Here is a link about usage in soap as well as how it works: Rosemary oleorsin extract (ROE)

Another link for you: What is a chelator?
Great! Thank you!

I have used tallow as an ingredient in CP soap and have never had trouble with the soap going rancid. If you are worried, you can add a few drops of rosemary oleoresin to the melted oils before adding lye.
If he has soy allergies just make sure to ask suppliers if their oleoresin contains any soy-derivatives because most do. A soy-free claim is actually meaningless in the US because most soy products are legally considered soy-free, here, if they only contain the soy proteins that are not easiest to remove and detect. So make sure they specify there are no "soy derivatives".

Any soap can go rancid (aka DOS, dreaded orange spots). That's why soap makers, including big commercial makers, often use antioxidants (rosemary oleoresin (ROE) is one) and chelators in their soap. No matter what type of soap you make, it's worth your while to understand why these additives are useful and decide if they are worth adding to your soap.

I'm not sure why people are singling out tallow as a problem. It's not any more or less likely to turn rancid than other fats with a similar fatty acid profile. I also use tallow in soap, and can't say it's ever caused any particular problems over and above any of the other fats I use. But I do use ROE and a chelator too.
What chelator do you use?

If he has soy allergies just make sure to ask suppliers if their oleoresin contains any soy-derivatives because most do. A soy-free claim is actually meaningless in the US because most soy products are legally considered soy-free, here, if they only contain the soy proteins that are not easiest to remove and detect. So make sure they specify there are no "soy derivatives".
Thank you, Kat. We do try to avoid soy when possible.

In the UK, the tallow and lard you buy from the supermarkets already has ROE in even though, generally, its still stored in the fridge so you may find the same wherever you are.

Latest posts

Back