Talking to other soapmakers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkCupcake

Reaction score
This weekend I am going to a show of local artisans & crafters. Usually, I work every weekend and don't get to go to things like this, so I am really excited. I hope that there will be a couple of soapers there, so I can check out their products and maybe chat, if they have the time.

For those of you who sell, what should I say or not say to them? The only other time I have met a soapmaker at a show was when I had just started soaping, and I think I gushed about how I could never make anything as pretty as his soaps. He was very generous with his time (there were no other customers right then) and gave me lots of hints!

I don't sell, but..............

One important decision you need to make is are you going to pull them up on any dodgy things that they say or just ignore it? What level of dodgy things? It will frame it all.

I'm not talking about going there looking for a fight, but about, for example, how to respond if they say "I put cocoa butter in at trace so it is my superfat" or "I only use all natural ingredients" but then they have FOs in there that you know aren't natural. As The Admirable Lady was with one local soaper, it can ruffle feathers if you point out that selective superfatting in CP is impossible or that a soap with man-made FOs is not really natural, if that word actually has any meaning.

That main hurdle aside, I would say be upfront that you are a soaper - if they suspect it but you haven't actually said it, they might feel that you are trying to get info to use and they might get a bit colder. Then couch everything by saying that you understand if they aren't happy to share something.

"Do you mind me asking how you got that effect? Totally understand if you don't want it, but it is really interesting.................." It might help them to not feel too bad to say that they would prefer not to divulge and keep them more open in general.

^What The Gentleman said!

I don't sell either, but I am from the deep south, where we often have conversations with total strangers. I have approached people selling soap before, and complimented them on the appearance, scents, and/or whatever applies to the situation. I get anything from a vague smile to a fascinating conversation. Sometimes I get the, "I would never use LYE! That would be dangerous!" response. If I do, I just repeat the compliment, smile, and move along.

If I get the interesting conversation, I admit that I make soap, but don't sell, and comment, "Wow, the bar soap market is super saturated, isn't it?!" So they know I have no intention of competing with them, and they open right up and talk for a very LONG time.

I just generally ask myself how I would want to be treated if I were them, and go with that. You need to remember that this is how they make a living, and respect that. Don't create a scene, and don't keep them talking when other customers need their attention.

Last edited:
This weekend I am going to a show of local artisans & crafters. Usually, I work every weekend and don't get to go to things like this, so I am really excited. I hope that there will be a couple of soapers there, so I can check out their products and maybe chat, if they have the time.

For those of you who sell, what should I say or not say to them? The only other time I have met a soapmaker at a show was when I had just started soaping, and I think I gushed about how I could never make anything as pretty as his soaps. He was very generous with his time (there were no other customers right then) and gave me lots of hints!

Pink,

There is another soap vendor that I consider a friend. She makes and sells wonderful GM soap and body butters and lotions. We don't share soap recipes or share secrets. It is an understanding between us.
I am going to a craft fair today and I will ask questions of soap vendors but will not tell them I make soap. I think some vendors get a little over protective. But that is ok.

I've not had the opportunity to visit other soap vendor booths at shows in a long time as I'm usually alone. However, I'm going to a farmer's market in the morning where there are 2 soap vendors and I hope to talk to them. I too think that as soon as they know you are a soapmaker they get pretty edgy when you ask questions. I've only had one other soaper approach me at a show and she was paranoid because her soaps were all natural (EO's, Natural Colors). I thought they looked and smelled great. Mine are the polar opposite in most cases (FO's, Micas) and she kept coming into the section (we were in two different rooms at a school) I was in passing out her cards and just seemed very insecure. She was younger than I was. I kind of felt bad for her. So, you just never know how other will react. As I've told others, just believe in your product and know it and be confident. There's room different things. What bothers me is if other vendors are bashing or when they make claims. I generally will bite my tongue and walk away.

Recently I have been the only soap person at craft fairs. A couple of years ago I went to a church fair and there were five of use out of maybe 35 vendors. I had a nice conversation with one, and another was at my table forever smelling everything. Only one of the soapers was actually hostile to the rest of us,(and she was the one making claims that her soap cured everything) so when the crazy lady who hadn't used soap in over a year stopped being entertaining I sent her over to her booth.

,(and she was the one making claims that her soap cured everything) so when the crazy lady who hadn't used soap in over a year stopped being entertaining I sent her over to her booth.

Thanks for the laugh! It would be fun to hang out with you.

But then, you'd probably send me over to her booth, too. :(

My best suggestion is admit up front you are a soapmaker. For us who have been selling a long time can usually pick out a soapmaker that is at our booth. I recently had one that was smelling all my soap and spending lots of time at my booth. I flat out asked why he was smelling all my soaps and other products. Of course I got a vague answer then I said, "I am guessing you are a soapmaker," he looked at me said, "yes" and left. I usually try to be cordial, but my hubby tells me I fail miserably at it. Not true, only when new soapmakers invade my weekely markets and think they are going to sell there. I actually had one, which I knew was selling in the block, send her husband to check out my booth, he then proceeded to mention they sell their soaps for $4. I proceeded to inform him it is bad business to undercut the average market price, and that goes for any product. You just have to be honest and play it by ear, some will be receptive and some will not. I have a yearly craft fair in which multiple soapmakers attend, a couple of us get along great. In fact we will send each other customers if we know they have what the customer is looking for and we do not. One was fine until she wanted to buy a particular kids soap I sell and I had the distinct feeling she was wanting to try to figure out how it is made. I just told her I was not comfortable with selling it to her. Sorry I am rambling....
Bottom line there is no easy answer. We, that sell for other than hobby are not always happy to have a soapmaker checking out our products.

Hazel, I would never send you away, we would have a great time! It is hard to describe how strange this lady was acting, I am in California and and there are plenty of "Natural" types, that has never been an issue. But this lady was actually scared that soap would kill her. Not the best person to have around your both when you are selling soap.

That is such a good response! I think it has to be done with a southern accent though so I might not be able to pull it off, being English :lol:

I have a pretty heavy southern accent, so I think I can pull that off. I actually say, "bless your heart" pretty often!

Thanks for all the input and advice, y'all! I only saw one soapmaker and she didn't really have time to chat, so...maybe next time.

Pink,

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to talk to the soaper. Hopefully, you'll be able to get to another show and meet other soapers.

Hazel, I would never send you away, we would have a great time! It is hard to describe how strange this lady was acting, I am in California and and there are plenty of "Natural" types, that has never been an issue. But this lady was actually scared that soap would kill her. Not the best person to have around your both when you are selling soap.

I don't know. Some people consider me rather strange. :lol:

She really thought soap would kill her? You should have lobbed samples at her then she would have quickly left.

I don't sell, but..............

I'm not talking about going there looking for a fight, but about, for example, how to respond if they say "I put cocoa butter in at trace so it is my superfat" or "I only use all natural ingredients" but then they have FOs in there that you know aren't natural. As The Admirable Lady was with one local soaper, it can ruffle feathers if you point out that selective superfatting in CP is impossible or that a soap with man-made FOs is not really natural, if that word actually has any meaning.

What does this mean TEG?

My best suggestion is admit up front you are a soapmaker. For us who have been selling a long time can usually pick out a soapmaker that is at our booth. I recently had one that was smelling all my soap and spending lots of time at my booth. I flat out asked why he was smelling all my soaps and other products. Of course I got a vague answer then I said, "I am guessing you are a soapmaker," he looked at me said, "yes" and left. I usually try to be cordial, but my hubby tells me I fail miserably at it. Not true, only when new soapmakers invade my weekely markets and think they are going to sell there. I actually had one, which I knew was selling in the block, send her husband to check out my booth, he then proceeded to mention they sell their soaps for $4. I proceeded to inform him it is bad business to undercut the average market price, and that goes for any product. You just have to be honest and play it by ear, some will be receptive and some will not. I have a yearly craft fair in which multiple soapmakers attend, a couple of us get along great. In fact we will send each other customers if we know they have what the customer is looking for and we do not. One was fine until she wanted to buy a particular kids soap I sell and I had the distinct feeling she was wanting to try to figure out how it is made. I just told her I was not comfortable with selling it to her. Sorry I am rambling....
Bottom line there is no easy answer. We, that sell for other than hobby are not always happy to have a soapmaker checking out our products.

I feel your pain. It's like everything is an angle of some sort.

You didn't respond "Well, bless your heart"? You're a stronger woman than I am. :)

I wanted to, OH, how I wanted to! But, I have yet to regret taking the high road and being nice to folks like that. That may change tomorrow, though. Daddy always told me the Mark Twain quote, “Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she made her first batch of CP soap recently. A friend if hers replied that you can skip the cure if you CPOP. I replied with an explanation of what happens during the cure. I was then told that I was wrong and I should google it.

A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she made her first batch of CP soap recently. A friend if hers replied that you can skip the cure if you CPOP. I replied with an explanation of what happens during the cure. I was then told that I was wrong and I should google it.

And of course EVERYTHING you read on the internet is true!

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but before I started a new one, I thought I would just add on to it as it was the closest I could find to the topic....

So good old South Dakota is a little slow on soaping - as in all the craft/vendor/farmers markets I have been to there has never been a soaper there - in fact on Saturday I had to go to a vendor fair in MN to find two soapers. The first was M&P and it was just a small selection (may be 6 bars total) of her total product so I didn't do more than glance at it. The second though, had a small but interesting selection, along with other body products. I didn't ask any questions other than 1) if she exclusively uses Palm oil and 2) does she have a business card. And now looking back, I would have really liked to talk to her about soaping... I just don't know what to ask! So... if you had five questions to ask an unknown soaper... what would you ask?

[side note: On Sunday I did have a very nice conversation with a 90 year old lady about her memories of making laundry soap as a young girl.]

Latest posts

Back