Talk to me: different types of wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natalie

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new to candle making and looking for people's suggestions and/or preferences as to what type of wax they use for what: for tarts, container candles, for pillar candles.

While browsing wax for sale online, I've seen beeswax listed. Where does that come in for candles? Can you blend it with other waxes?

All I've done so far is some soy wax tarts. I LOVED making them, they smell fantastic, and came out colorful, too! I used soy wax, which was supposedly for container candles, since they were tarts and fearing they would be too soft I added stearic acid, is that ok? Maybe I should add vybar instead?

Thanks in advance~

Natalie said:
Hello!

I am new to candle making and looking for people's suggestions and/or preferences as to what type of wax they use for what: for tarts, container candles, for pillar candles.

While browsing wax for sale online, I've seen beeswax listed. Where does that come in for candles? Can you blend it with other waxes?

All I've done so far is some soy wax tarts. I LOVED making them, they smell fantastic, and came out colorful, too! I used soy wax, which was supposedly for container candles, since they were tarts and fearing they would be too soft I added stearic acid, is that ok? Maybe I should add vybar instead?

Thanks in advance~

Starting out even if kept as just a hobby is expensive.
Check the suppliers by state for your supplies.All materials have gone up considerably in the last year or so,as well as shipping prices.

I'd personally recommend you buy a case of Paraffin wax.It's not exactly cheap,but it is most versatile wax on the market.Plenty to experiment around with.

I can't comment on soy.I've never worked with it.

Bees wax comes in plenty with candles.A little research and you'll know why :)

Best of luck.

Munky.

I a newbie to candle making as well. I ordered a couple of candle kits from ebay just to give it a try.

Ask the sellers about the items included in their kits, so you know which wax, wick and fragrances you are using.

I found I like one sellers wax and the others wicks and F.O.

Just checking back in........

Wax Munkey, I did find a few dealers close to me to order from. One I had prevously bought soap supplies from, but I was very unhappy with their FO's. I bought a couple of small bottles and half were ok, but the others, they had like a bite to the scent, ugh, you take a whiff and instantly pull away. Since they shipped fast I gave them a second chance and it was awfal again. This was for soap stuff, when I was searching for candle things I saw they also sold candle supplies but I don't want to bother.

The other place I bought some color chips and got them the next day-that'll be the place from now on. I'll have to try out the parrafin wax the next time I order.

Right now I have a little less than 5 pounds of soy wax, like paupau I got it on ebay, it was a kit with wax, wicks and some FO's. I've made a bunch of tarts, a few voltives and one container candle so far. I love it, I'm eager to try out different waxes and whatever else there is.

Natalie said:
Just checking back in........

Wax Munkey, I did find a few dealers close to me to order from. One I had prevously bought soap supplies from, but I was very unhappy with their FO's. I bought a couple of small bottles and half were ok, but the others, they had like a bite to the scent, ugh, you take a whiff and instantly pull away. Since they shipped fast I gave them a second chance and it was awfal again. This was for soap stuff, when I was searching for candle things I saw they also sold candle supplies but I don't want to bother.

The other place I bought some color chips and got them the next day-that'll be the place from now on. I'll have to try out the parrafin wax the next time I order.

Right now I have a little less than 5 pounds of soy wax, like paupau I got it on ebay, it was a kit with wax, wicks and some FO's. I've made a bunch of tarts, a few voltives and one container candle so far. I love it, I'm eager to try out different waxes and whatever else there is.

You can learn so much from a kit.
I started out with just a small kit to.I loved it! To this day I still have and use often the votive cups.

You and Pau have it right,buy small quantities,and see what you like working with the most.Seems like Soy is for you.Maybe you can learn me about soy :) I'm open..

Candle scents can be a hit and miss,but keep in mind when you buy new scents that they are very strong.They do mellow out with time.Some actually are much better if you let them age.Patchouli is one of them.
I'm not a patchouli person,I actually can't stand it..But if it's been aged,it's tolerable.Ok I'm more of a Sandalwood person..

Best of luck to you and Pau :)

Munky.

The neat thing about bees wax is that it gives off negative ions as it burns, which is sort of similar to being in a pine forest or at the beach.

Negative ions can be quite healing in certain respects. For instance one of the reasons Epsom salts works is that when dissolved in hot water it gives off negative ions.

Latest posts

Back