"Taking your Soap obsession a bit too far!"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I download this book from Kindle unlimited and I see this recipe called "Mommy and Me". My brain is going oh great, a recipe for babies! So I start reading the ingredients as I am getting ready to put it in Soapcalc which is what I have been doing with every single recipe I find on the internet. To my dismay, I am unable to figure out what vendor I should use for one of the ingredients...(snort). Here is the recipe for your viewing pleasure.

INGREDIENTS | YIELDS APPROXIMATELY 24 OUNCES
10 ounces olive oil
6 ounces coconut oil
6.5 ounces breastmilk, frozen
2.5 ounces lye
1⁄4 teaspoon lavender essential oil (optional)
1⁄4 teaspoon Roman chamomile essential oil (optional)
1 tablespoon castor oil

I am laughing like a lunatic once I read that third ingredient and my husband asks "what are you laughing about? That's when I show him the recipe and he proceeds to tell me " You are taking this Soap obsession a bit too far" :mrgreen:

Last edited:
You could, I am sure, substitute any sort of ... uhm...milk for that ingredient...

But you need to assure your husband that that is NOT taking this soap obsession too far. Actually buying said product and swearing that the soap made with it cures every disease would be taking it too far.

Yeah... I'm not one for other folks' breast milk in products...

I get the whole: it's normal, it's natural, we are all mammals, and it's not any different than cow's milk. BUT. I think of human things as being different and ickier than other animals. Strange dog licks my hand, it's just saying hi/pat it on the head. Strange man licks my hand, I'm calling the police.

Plus that sounds like a terrible recipe. 37% CO. It would strip my skin off...

Yeah... I'm not one for other folks' breast milk in products...

Strange dog licks my hand, it's just saying hi/pat it on the head. Strange man licks my hand, I'm calling the police.

I have never been able to put my thoughts on this together in a way that makes sense but this will do nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....I've got the hard copy of that book (the 2nd addition). Although there is a point or 2 in there that I have a quibble or 2 about, it's actually a really good book, as soaping books go, and one of the few soaping books I actually recommend for many different reasons. In Alicia's defense, she has been making soap for a long time now, and she's also a long-time member of the Dish forum. The recipe in question was written with the intent to be personally used by the nursing mom and immediate family, and to give Alicia the credit due to her, she specifically says in the book (in the 'caution' bubble below the recipe) that soap should not be used on babies younger than 6 months, and to always check with the baby's pediatrician before trying anything on the baby's skin.

As much as some feel squicked out about making such a soap, there are good soapers out there that have made such a soap for either themselves or for a nursing friend at their request. Although I personally would never have considered making such a soap in my nursing days (I had some difficulties with my milk supply and considered every drop of my breastmilk to be as precious as liquid gold), I would never begrudge someone else wanting to make such a soap for themselves if they so desired. To each their own, I say.

IrishLass :)

I agree with IrishLass, the book is very informative. I actually pulled the majority of the recipes, except for the one mentioned here, and ran them through Soapcalc in order to do small test batches. (what can I say, I am a bit ambitious) It is also full of pertinent information to a beginner soaper like me, who likes to approach any art form through the observation of process by different artists while pursuing their artistic endeavors. And yes, certain Soapers are artists. Anyone that works this hard at knowing and understanding their medium cannot be called anything else. Well...crazy comes to mind, but I digress. (Crazy not being a bad thing)

In any case good book with a too icky recipe for me. I guess it all comes down to me watching Soylent Green with my Grandmother and realizing the horror that "Soylent Green is people". And yes I know the ingredient comes from people not that it is people but in my mind it just hits too close!

I want to point out that there is nothing wrong with anyone making this soap. Different strokes for different folks. I personally do not begrudge anyone for it, however I will be sure to pack my own soap when visiting as I have done my entire life anyway.

Be of good Courage

Sere

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of getting a new mommy friend to save some for me so I could try this (for her not the baby's skin).... just gotta wait until her production is up enough :).

That's a great book in my opinion. Only book I've purchased so far and I've checked a ton of them out from the library! She does warn about using it on baby skin.

The Everything Soapmaking Book: Learn How to Make Soap at Home with Recipes, Techniques, and Step-by-Step Instructions...

by Alicia Grosso

I really dont care how natural people think this recipe is. There is just something all kinds of wrong about it in my head. We have too many great ingredients out there to really consider that an option.

Just too much for me. Husband cant stop teasing me about it!

Sere

I agree with IrishLass, the book is very informative. I actually pulled the majority of the recipes, except for the one mentioned here, and ran them through Soapcalc in order to do small test batches. (what can I say, I am a bit ambitious) It is also full of pertinent information to a beginner soaper like me, who likes to approach any art form through the observation of process by different artists while pursuing their artistic endeavors. And yes, certain Soapers are artists. Anyone that works this hard at knowing and understanding their medium cannot be called anything else. Well...crazy comes to mind, but I digress. (Crazy not being a bad thing)

In any case good book with a too icky recipe for me. I guess it all comes down to me watching Soylent Green with my Grandmother and realizing the horror that "Soylent Green is people". And yes I know the ingredient comes from people not that it is people but in my mind it just hits too close!

I want to point out that there is nothing wrong with anyone making this soap. Different strokes for different folks. I personally do not begrudge anyone for it, however I will be sure to pack my own soap when visiting as I have done my entire life anyway.

Be of good Courage

Sere

I have to agree too. Happily, this was NOT the book I was thinking of. I had the fortunately displeasure of downloading a kindle book that was clearly made for the sole purpose of making a quick buck. Plagiarism at it's cheapest without a shred of information for beginning soapers. I found a few of the said books recipes in a few of the other freebies I had snagged so I'm thankful I did not pay for the bad book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree too. Happily, this was NOT the book I was thinking of. I had the fortunately displeasure of downloading a kindle book that was clearly made for the sole purpose of making a quick buck. Plagiarism at it's cheapest without a shred of information for beginning soapers. I found a few of the said books recipes in a few of the other freebies I had snagged so I'm thankful I did not pay for the bad book.

I leave reviews when I find those books. I read the reviews when I look at a book I am not sure of, so the other shoppers might benefit from my review.

I leave reviews when I find those books. I read the reviews when I look at a book I am not sure of, so the other shoppers might benefit from my review.

I started doing that myself. I have plenty more books to look through though so far, some of what I have is redundant.

Back