Taking product photos

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudbubblez

Reaction score
When taking product photos, is it generally better to just display the product, in high contrast to the background or do pictures with props generate more interest? I've got my light tricks down and everything but I wonder if props add to the appeal? For instance, a goat milk bar in a pic with a glass of milk? Beyond taking the picture itself, should some kind of image editing take place? As in brightness, contrast, color saturation and the like?

Also, should the product as it comes wrapped be included in the image, or just the naked bar?

I mostly prefer just the soap but it does depend on the props used and how they are arranged. Go to google images and type in "goat milk soap" and you will get a good idea of what you like and what looks good. Too many props or the wrong sort of prop can look tacky (to me). It's also a matter of personal opinion. I like to see how they're going to be wrapped along with naked bars. :wink:

I bought a shooting table off of ebay. It's a plexiglass rounded table that i can put lights under and around to get a perfect white background. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plexiglas-Cover ... 19cb875bc0) I use that for all my product photos as i feel it best represents the actual products. I sometimes take alternate shoots of my soaps in more "artsy" settings, but i think a clean photo is the best way to accurately show off the soap.

I mentor other crafters on the importance of taking good product photos as a priority especially when selling online.

It is strongly recommended you use a digital camera with an adjustable setting that says "close up" and take outside in the natural light. Absolutely nothing replaces natural light. If you would like to see my product photos I take myself you can see most of them on www.facebook.com/oasisbathsoap

Try taking from various angles and you will get the hang of it and actually look forward to such.

I have a decent camera and have some basic photoshop skills, but my pics just didn't "pop" for me like a wanted them to. I finally just hired a professional to take the pics for me. While i think mine were ok and showed the soap clearly, nothing i could do made them look anything like the professional shots i had done. After putting them on my site to replace the pics i had done i got amazing feedback. Worth every penny. I admire people who are able to master this whole photo thing on their own, but this is the route i was most happy with.

Back