Take care of yourself!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am putting this out there because I've had quite the scare this week. I went home from work on Tuesday with severe stomach cramps, light headed, dizzy, hot flashes, vomiting. To be honest, I had the same symptoms a few weeks earlier. The only thing that kept me from believing it to be the flu was that the nausea wasn't affected by food. I also noted that it coincided with my monthly cycle, which is fairly irregular and I am old enough that menopause is right around the corner so wasn't overly concerned when the symptoms disappeared in less than 12 hours.

I should have been worried and am hoping that this will serve as a warning to others to get checked if something is different.

A ct scan was ordered in the er, where several nurses, dr's, etc were confused by my symptoms (it progressed to an inability to breathe well because of chest pain) and level of pain without trauma. The ct scan revealed that my abdomen was full of blood. A surgeon was quickly called and I was prepped for surgery. The er dr figured it was a ruptured cyst. The surgeon had one more idea, that a simple urine check proved correct. It was an ectopic pregnancy, not horribly unusual at my age, and ruptured the fallopian tube.

The moral of the story is to always get checked if something is off. If I had paid attention in February and gone to the dr then, even tho I was fairly sure of what the problem was, it would have saved me a whole lot of pain and been a much simpler procedure!

I'm sorry to hear this and I wish you speedy recovery. It's often thought that menopausing women can't get pregnant but, I've heard and learned differently. Thank you for sharing and rest up. :mrgreen:

Oh that's frightening! I'm glad you went to the ER and got it figured out and treated. I have a friend right now who has ignored abdominal symptoms for years and just this morning found out she probably has pancreatic cancer. You are right, we should absolutely get things checked out when they are 'off'. It's a good reminder to us all!

Whoa, what a scary ordeal. Glad to hear you are recovering and this is certainly a good reminder not to ignore health anomalies. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Oh boy! We think we are invincible sometimes and we tend to just ignore our bodies telling us things. Im guilty of that many times. Your absolutely correct - we need to take better care of ourselves. Speedy recovery and rest.

Well wishes to you for a speedy recovery!
You mentioned a CT scan - that's my full-time job. I have a BS in Radiology and I'm the person injecting you with dye and doing your CT scan :)
And YES!!! We need to take care of ourselves and pay attention to what our bodies are trying to tell us when something is wrong. One of my worst work memories is when a mid-30's lady came to the ER with abdominal pain that she had been having for several months, but had become severe in the past week or so. She was trying to 'work through it' and didn't want to make a big deal about it, but her mother-in-law insisted that she go to the ER that night because she almost passed out when picking up her toddler to take him to bed. She came to my CT suite from the ER in a wheelchair and was in good spirits saying "I hurt pretty bad, but it's probably nothing." But when she stood up to get on the CT table, her pupils expanded and she collapsed. The nurse started CPR while I called a Code Blue. The team got her back twice, but we couldn't keep her. She died on my table. The doctor in charge had me scan her chest/abdomen and pelvis while she was there, and as it turned out she had a large abdominal aortic aneurysm (undiagnosed) that had apparently reached the breaking point and burst when she stood up.
So YES, please pay attention to your body when something doesn't feel right!!

The moral of the story is to always get checked if something is off. If I had paid attention in February and gone to the dr then, even tho I was fairly sure of what the problem was, it would have saved me a whole lot of pain and been a much simpler procedure!

The other moral of the story is that women die of undiagnosed ruptured ectopic pregnancies quite frequently. You saved your life.

Glad to hear you got it taken care of before it got even worse. A good lesson for all of us. Take it easy and be well soon.

Oh my goodness! How scary for you, and I appreciate you sharing this experience. I'm glad to hear that you're ok and wish you a speedy recovery.

Back