Table Sugar to Increase Lather and Bubbles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does adding table sugar to a recipe increase the lather and/or bubbles in soap?

• Yes

Votes: 12 92.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
What is your CO percentage. If you use low CO you should notice a difference. Although I no longer use sugar and now use Sorbitol, all the years I used sugar I noticed a difference.
cmzaha, where do you get your Sorbitol? What form is it in?

I tested various percentages all the way down to 0. I didn't notice anything.

I am a beekeeper and add honey to most of my soaps, 1 tsp - 1 tbsp per pound of oil, depending on the amount of coconut oil. Most of my soaps have 20% - 25% coconut oil and I only add 1 tsp to those. It seems to boost the lather. I usually don't add any honey to my beer / hard cider soaps, since these have their own sugars.

@Jersey Girl if your simple syrup is 50:50 (sugar:water) by weight use 2x whatever measure you use. I add 10 g of simple syrup to my split water, so 5 g sugar and 5 g water. I adjust the total liquid in the split to account for the 5 g of water from the simple syrup. I'm adding slightly more than a tsp of sugar, which weighs approx. 4 g. I may try using a bit more sugar, but will need to think first about how it might affect the gelling.
@Mobjack Bay, I've been meaning to ask, do you use distilled water to make your simple syrup or just not worry about that little amount ? Typically I make mine using tap/well water, so I have been hesitant to try it in a soap. I usually use honey, but if I want to achieve a whiter soap I can't use honey.

@Mobjack Bay, I've been meaning to ask, do you use distilled water to make your simple syrup or just not worry about that little amount ? Typically I make mine using tap/well water, so I have been hesitant to try it in a soap. I usually use honey, but if I want to achieve a whiter soap I can't use honey.
Not Mobjack but you might be better off using filtered water, if you can't get distilled water. Distilled water is about as blank a canvas as you can get.

Back