Table or powder sugar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math ace

Reaction score
Which do you add to your soaps - regular table sugar or powdered sugar?

Will either work?

Is the recommended rate of use the same for both products?

I use regular sugar,also. Make sure to dissolve it thoroughly in the liquid before adding lye.

I usually use granulated, only because I just fill a jar from the canister in the kitchen. Right now due to buying powdered sugar when I didn't need it, I have both in jars in my soap space. Either works. Some people believe powdered sugar slows trace. I'm not convinced that it does, but neither accelerate.

I’ve just recently switched from granulated to powdered sugar. It actually dissolves quicker for me. The solution is cloudy instead of clear like regular sugar. I’m assuming that’s from the corn starch. It doesn’t affect the outcome.

When my boys were still in their single digit ages (a very LONG time ago) I realized in the midst of a birthda party that I had no granulated sugar to make the Koolaid I promised them. So I used powdered sugar. That stuff just did not melt well at all! No amount of stirring got the floating bits to dissolve. I never had trouble getting granulated sugar to dissolve in a jug of Koolaid.

I know that's not the same as soap, but because of that experience I have never even tried to use powdered sugar for anything but baking. BUT, I have a huge supply of the stuff left over from when we closed the restaurant & I rarely bake anymore so have thought I should try and use it up in soap.

So tell me, Jersey Girl, how do you incorporate the powdered sugar into the recipe? What amount do you use per batch size (or do you measure ppo)? And do you pre-melt with hot water? Do you add it to the oils or to the lye?

When my boys were still in their single digit ages (a very LONG time ago) I realized in the midst of a birthda party that I had no granulated sugar to make the Koolaid I promised them. So I used powdered sugar. That stuff just did not melt well at all! No amount of stirring got the floating bits to dissolve. I never had trouble getting granulated sugar to dissolve in a jug of Koolaid.

I know that's not the same as soap, but because of that experience I have never even tried to use powdered sugar for anything but baking. BUT, I have a huge supply of the stuff left over from when we closed the restaurant & I rarely bake anymore so have thought I should try and use it up in soap.

So tell me, Jersey Girl, how do you incorporate the powdered sugar into the recipe? What amount do you use per batch size (or do you measure ppo)? And do you pre-melt with hot water? Do you add it to the oils or to the lye?
Well, that’s a bummer about the kool aid! Funny the memories that stick with us! 😁
I use 1 T ppo and yes, I heat my liquid (aloe juice) a little in the microwave before I mix it. After it’s melted I add it back to the rest of my aloe juice which is cold from the fridge, and then add the lye. It works! I do this with granulated sugar too.

Well Heck! I used plain ole table sugar and then read about someone using powdered sugar. However, I just tossed the sugar in with the oils and lye water and then mixed ... right before I added mica. I would think it would still dissolve ok. I guess I'll find out in a month, after the cure time is up!

Well Heck! I used plain ole table sugar and then read about someone using powdered sugar. However, I just tossed the sugar in with the oils and lye water and then mixed ... right before I added mica. I would think it would still dissolve ok. I guess I'll find out in a month, after the cure time is up!
If your oils were warm enough to liquify the sugar, you might be ok. My experience has been that sugar doesn't dissolve well at all if you add it post-lye, or to cool oils. It didn't ruin my soap, but I definitely had undissolved granules in there.

Last edited:
Well, that’s a bummer about the kool aid! Funny the memories that stick with us! 😁
I use 1 T ppo and yes, I heat my liquid (aloe juice) a little in the microwave before I mix it. After it’s melted I add it back to the rest of my aloe juice which is cold from the fridge, and then add the lye. It works! I do this with granulated sugar too.

Thank you, Jersey Girl. I do appreciate your answer.

So basically, it's more or less the same as I do with granulated sugar. I dissolve that in hot water (deducted from lye solution liquid) & either add it to the lye solution or to the oils, whichever strikes my fancy atm.

I started using powdered sugar a few weeks ago. I have had no issues with it not dissolving. Here's what I do: Measure out liquid weight and add 1 tsp/ppo to the liquid to dissolve. I add my 50/50 MB lye solution to the liquid. Because of the added sugar, it'll heat up, so I make sure I give myself plenty of time before I soap (I soap at room temperature). Then I soap as usual.

The first time I used ps (powdered sugar), I did notice a little bit of film on the surface of the cooled lye water sugared solution. Now, I give it a good stir a few times during the cooldown period and that fixes it. I assume it has something to do with the cornstarch. I think ps will be my go-to additive above all other sweeteners because it is so inexpensive and the results are pretty darn convincing. I made three batches using my base: one with honey, one with ps, and one with sorbitol. The ps soap had the best bubbles!

Hope this helps.

P.S. If anyone can explain to me the science of why sugar helps to create more bubbly lather, I'm all ears. I really want to understand the science.

-Lisa

Last edited:
I've always used granulated sugar. Mix into the liquid along with salt and silk before adding lye. Just make sure to stir thoroughly so the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. The silk dissolves well after the lye is added.

I used to use regular granulated sugar, but when I was watching a video several years ago (of Tree Marie Soapworks), she said powdered sugar helps to slow trace. So I tried powdered sugar and I think she’s right. It does tend to slow the batter down a little (maybe the cornstarch?). I use master batched lye and dissolve my powdered sugar in a little of the extra water I need, then add it to my lye water. It dissolves very easily but is a little cloudy. I also think powdered sugar makes more bubbles than regular. I’m never going back.

Back