Synthetic Siliceous Flakes,TiO2 in Mica?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lin19687

Reaction score
So this is what is in the Mica I bought on line, yeah Amazon, don't ask why I bothered. I bought to play in testers to hold me over till Mica & More comes in the end of the month.

After emailing the seller, because nothing was included in the package, was told this is the ingredient list {listed in title}.

I believe Ti02 is White titanium dioxide . Ok that is what the White is or is that for all colors of oxides?

But what is the other ? Silicone flakes but what about all those colors?

After reading all over about Micas and safety and such I can't find a good google search of this flake product.... Other then silicone flakes coated in metal oxides.

Last edited:
I actually don't read a lot of Soap Queen, while there are some good things there are others that I don't like. Swift crafty monkey has better stuff, chemically speaking.

Says for use in soaps, non bleeding, but you know China sellers. "soap Boiling" is not a term we use here hahaha.

Lin, instead of the mica being harvested, it has been synthetically created. Mica in nature is silica based, so it looks like it's a dupe, rather than a plastic based mica. TiO2 is titanium dioxide. White is an extra word ;)

Ahhh, so he should have said it was totally synthetic to begin with.

When I googled Ti02 it just listed white so I thought it was just for that one but not for the other colors. There are Blue and Green, so if my searching did me right, there should be other ingredients in there. Need to know if they are ultramarine or Chromium in it.
I wanted to be able to use in BB in the future.
I think I am just going to return this, it just is not adding up for me....... and I barely know the in's and out's of micas ! No more China crap. Will just wait for Micas & more.

TY

Last edited:
I did look at their site and thought about it but Amazon was faster and cheaper for testers. Guess not so cheap and now I can see many people using this stuff in their products and it MAY not be safe :(

Ahhh, so he should have said it was totally synthetic to begin with.

When I googled Ti02 it just listed white so I thought it was just for that one but not for the other colors. There are Blue and Green, so if my searching did me right, there should be other ingredients in there. Need to know if they are ultramarine or Chromium in it.
I wanted to be able to use in BB in the future.
I think I am just going to return this, it just is not adding up for me....... and I barely know the in's and out's of micas ! No more China crap. Will just wait for Micas & more.

TY
The colors in micas come from FDA approved colorants such as Lakes, and Oxides. If you look up the inci on the micas you ordered from M&M you will find the inci.

Swift crafty monkey has better stuff, chemically speaking... Susan really does not make soap. Brambleberry aka Soap Queen is a soap supplier who does make soap

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure why the mica you purchased "MAY not be safe." Is it because the mica is synthetic versus a mined mineral?

If I'm following your point of view correctly, I have to question your perception of risk. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's safer than a synthetic. All of the actual colorants on the mica are synthetics, just so's you know.

Mica from a natural source can contain heavy metals, although if used in colorants, it has to be tested and has to meet standards. Synthetic mica will not contain heavy metals. Where is the increased risk in the synthetic product?

The colors in micas come from FDA approved colorants such as Lakes, and Oxides. If you look up the inci on the micas you ordered from M&M you will find the inci.

Swift crafty monkey has better stuff, chemically speaking... Susan really does not make soap. Brambleberry aka Soap Queen is a soap supplier who does make soap

Sorry i meant in the way of information, not supplies :) I know Swifty from the Dish, no soap but other things that I don't make, but really good information.
Yes I see that M&M lists it all and that is what I like, most do, just no China crap from Amazon :) I sent that back today. Will be ordering from the M&M Co-Op group buy.

@DeeAnna What I mean by not safe is the Supplier that doesn't list the ingredients and/or is not upfront about the product he is selling. I know there are 'natural" Micas and Lab made Micas and I am ok with both. But, there are Blue and Greens in the stuff I bought off Amazon. If they are not willing to say what is in EACH COLOR they sent me then I am not comfortable in using them.
If you go to Nature Soap or M&M and others they list what is in EACH COLOR and if it is Lip, CP safe & stable etc.

I hope that cleared it up. :) :) There are plenty of 'un-natural' stuff I use/eat that I probably shouldn't but do anyway ;)

I looked through the mica and other soap colorants on Amazon last night. The supplier looked a bit flaky so I ended up ordering from Nurture instead. They shipped today and my micas will be here in plenty of time for weekend soaping.

You have to be really careful with some of the products on Amazon. There are more and more products that are being drop shipped out of China and elsewhere. You don't know what you're getting and shipping can take weeks. Amazon Prime offers a bit more buying confidence but in many ways they're not much better than buying through ebay.

I have Prime and I send things back quiet often. I do hope in doing so that Amazon will clean up some of those cheap crap stuff. :(
picking out M&M micas now ... oh my poor bank account

My Google search shows me that 'siliceous' means containing, consisting of or resembling silica, so this very well may be from naturally occurring silica, or it could only resemble silica. Either way, silica is naturally occurring in some rock all over the world. link The most beautiful rock formations of silica that I recently saw where in Souix Falls, SD (link).

Regarding the TD and how different mica hues are acheived, they are almost always a mixture. To lighten a darker darker color mica, add some TD, and to make it a pastel shade, add even more TD. So, yes, potentially all the Micas in your order could contain some TD. It depends on the colors you chose in your order. Take a look at the ingredients list on the M&M site for various Micas and you will see what I'm talking about.

Jewels621 and I were in the same mica color mixing workshop at Soapcon2017 last fall, run by Carrie of Nurture Soap, and learned a bit about how to create custom colors with micas. It was fabulously fun! If you want to give this method a try yourself, you will need one of these tools: link.

In the meantime, I would try out your Micas from Amazon, but I would be more concerned about if they are stable in CP soap than if they are synthetic or not.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see your clarification post, so most if not all of what I wrote you already know. I am still on my very until co-operative tablet, so rather than trying to edi, which take forever, I will just leave it and ask you to ignore my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back