Syndet shampoo bars crumble

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big J

Reaction score
Hello all,

I’ve just recently started making Syndet shampoo bars. It’s been a real learning experience to say the least. I’ve been getting good feedback from those that I’ve given them out to. One common issue I’ve been getting is that at a certain point they tend to “crumble” I’d like to figure this out and see if a remedy is out there. I use SSC, SLSa, CAPB, rice flour, rice protein, vitamin E, Germall plus in my recipe. I use a mould, but I do have not used a press, could this be the reason they are crumbling as they get smaller? Any guidance is greatly appreciated……

Hello all,

I’ve just recently started making Syndet shampoo bars. It’s been a real learning experience to say the least. I’ve been getting good feedback from those that I’ve given them out to. One common issue I’ve been getting is that at a certain point they tend to “crumble” I’d like to figure this out and see if a remedy is out there. I use SSC, SLSa, CAPB, rice flour, rice protein, vitamin E, Germall plus in my recipe. I use a mould, but I do have not used a press, could this be the reason they are crumbling as they get smaller? Any guidance is greatly appreciated……
My first though was that you may need to melt them a little more so they stick together better. One hint I can pass along is that once the bars get to the point of cracking, put them in an organza bag. That way, you can use the bits and pieces right to the very end. No wastage. :)

My only addition is that I do not have a press either instead use a very heavy marble rolling pin on top of the syndet bars once they are pushed into the molds. Even when heavily pushed into the molds the bars do tend to break up as they get smaller. Agree with @Misschief recommendation to use a mesh bag for the bits n pieces.

My first though was that you may need to melt them a little more so they stick together better. One hint I can pass along is that once the bars get to the point of cracking, put them in an organza bag. That way, you can use the bits and pieces right to the very end. No wastage. :)
Thanks for that advice. I’ve not used heat on anything yet. I may just give that a try…..thanks

My only addition is that I do not have a press either instead use a very heavy marble rolling pin on top of the syndet bars once they are pushed into the molds. Even when heavily pushed into the molds the bars do tend to break up as they get smaller. Agree with @Misschief recommendation to use a mesh bag for the bits n pieces.
Thanks for that. i Will give that a try. I just want a decent product!

There doesn't appear to be anything in your recipe that is melted - like alcohols and/or butters. You basically have some powders and liquids. I don't believe the powders 'melt' as much as they 'assimilate' into the liquids. This sounds like it would become crumbly easily.
My bars are poured into molds.
Another thing to consider is the shape of your bars. When I first started making them I used a mold shape similar to the Lush bars (disc-like). After some use they would become thin and break. Now I use a giant ice cube mold and I much prefer it. It fits into a cupped hand really easily, and is less likely to break up as it gets smaller:
IMG_0243.JPG

There doesn't appear to be anything in your recipe that is melted - like alcohols and/or butters. You basically have some powders and liquids. I don't believe the powders 'melt' as much as they 'assimilate' into the liquids. This sounds like it would become crumbly easily.
My bars are poured into molds.
Another thing to consider is the shape of your bars. When I first started making them I used a mold shape similar to the Lush bars (disc-like). After some use they would become thin and break. Now I use a giant ice cube mold and I much prefer it. It fits into a cupped hand really easily, and is less likely to break up as it gets smaller:
View attachment 72265
Thanks for the response! I’m looking at everything and I will get this right. I really appreciate all the insight.

I agree on getting the solid detergents fully dissolved. Also, I'm not sure why you're including rice flour in this formulation -- that may also contribute to your problem.

Back