Syndet Shampoo Bar Trials

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Quilter99755

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made some lotion with shea butter and it was grainy. I found somewhere...don't remember and didn't book mark it...sorry. It said shea butter needed to be cooled fast or it would turn grainy. So I reheated the container of lotion and stuck it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. It was no longer grainy. Wish I could remember where I found the info, but at least it worked for what I was doing with the shea butter.

Gaisy59

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made some lotion with shea butter and it was grainy. I found somewhere...don't remember and didn't book mark it...sorry. It said shea butter needed to be cooled fast or it would turn grainy. So I reheated the container of lotion and stuck it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. It was no longer grainy. Wish I could remember where I found the info, but at least it worked for what I was doing with the shea butter.
Hi i read the same thing and i order from Windy Point Soaps and it was in the little blog they put in when describing the item.

KiwiMoose

Reaction score
Hmm - I don't think I've ever had a problem with it that I've noticed anyway.. I use it at 10% in all my CP soap, and at 5% in my syndet bars.

Gaisy59

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was the first i heard if that as well. Every batch i have had has been fine. Maybe this is something new, the sources have been getting inferior product? 🤷‍♀️

atiz

Reaction score
It's not grainy in CP soap because it's not
Hmm - I don't think I've ever had a problem with it that I've noticed anyway.. I use it at 10% in all my CP soap, and at 5% in my syndet bars.
There's no butter left in the soap so I don't think it can get grainy... I have only had that in body butters and lip balms, and maybe a little bit in syndet bars, but it's hard to notice, since it's such a small amount.
I have tried tempering shea and it did help with the graininess. But I just don't use it in lip balms any more.

Megan

Reaction score
Tempering works, but grainy-ness will evenutally appear if conditions aren't kept perfect. For instance, I have tried and tried to use it in my lip balms, I even tried using cera bellina as a stabilizer. I still get grainy balms after a few months if there are temperature fluctuations...for instance if I keep a lip balm in my pocket (which I do all of the time). I've since given up on it in this application. In lotions, it shouldn't have much of a problem because of the emulsified nature, but I have heard of it happening. I think it happens more with anhydrous products.

Latest posts