Syndet Shampoo Bar Trials

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't find C14-16 either. I bought some from Alioop who was destashing her inventory. I used SLSa as a sub in the More Mango recipe, and pH was in the 5 range. It's become my favorite shampoo bar. Compared it to the bar that I made with the C14-16, and I didn't notice a difference between the two.

As for the DIY recipe, their formula uses SCI at an unsafe rate. The creators' reasoning for the high usage is not sound, per two chemist friends (one of which is a cosmetic formulator). The water during use does not negate the safe usage rate of the shampoo bar. Even in concentrated forms, products need to follow safe usage rates.
I’m going to give that version a try. My hair is a bit on the too dry side after using the too much SCI recipe.

Once again and not enough: thank you one and all for advice and support!

I couldn't find C14-16 either. I bought some from Alioop who was destashing her inventory. I used SLSa as a sub in the More Mango recipe, and pH was in the 5 range. It's become my favorite shampoo bar. Compared it to the bar that I made with the C14-16, and I didn't notice a difference between the two.

As for the DIY recipe, their formula uses SCI at an unsafe rate. The creators' reasoning for the high usage is not sound, per two chemist friends (one of which is a cosmetic formulator). The water during use does not negate the safe usage rate of the shampoo bar. Even in concentrated forms, products need to follow safe usage rates.
Well, fiddlesticks! How is an ordinary person supposed to figure this stuff out? Sure grateful for SMF!

I’m going to give that version a try. My hair is a bit on the too dry side after using the too much SCI recipe.

Once again and not enough: thank you one and all for advice and support!
Are you using conditioner?

Well, fiddlesticks! How is an ordinary person supposed to figure this stuff out? Sure grateful for SMF!
As I think a bit more, what happens at the higher rate? Not that I want to be unsafe, more that I am still learning about each ingredient. And I thought lye soap was scary! I'm nearly ready to go back to lye based shampoo bars, rinse with vinegar water and let me hair deal with it. Who needs picture perfect hair? But now that I have invest over $100 in ingredients, I feel obligated to keep at trying to get a bar of shampoo that works for me.

Skin irritation. Which is why I had my chemist friends look at the DIY formula. It won't kill you using I higher usage rate, it's just not skin friendly at higher usage rates.
Which is weird for me, because when we first had this discussion a while back... It wasn't the SCI that irritated my scalp it was the increase of the SLSa, when I lowered the SCI, that irritated my scalp. Its been a big balancing act and rabbit hole to research, especially when the original recipe got rid of my itchy flaky scalp and made my hair so shiny and bouncy with practically no frizz. :confused: :oops:

Different surfactants will irritate the skin differently for different people. Some people can't do higher amounts of SCI or they might be ok with higher amounts of SLSa. I was having a lot of irritation after using the DIY bar for almost a year. The repeated exposure to high SCI was my issue, I believe, as after I changed bar recipes (and then continued the pursuit of one that was easy to make and improved performance) my scalp was no longer irritated. Although it did take awhile before it returned to normal after changing the bar recipe.

You're absolutely right, it is a balancing act of getting the right surfactant blends - and what works for one person may not work for all. That's why the hair care industry is so huge.

I'm sure there are other factors involved in determining safe usage rates, skin irritation was just the most readily noticeable for me with the DIY formula.

Which is exactly what I’m trying to avoid by making my own shampoo. I WILL get this!!!
Yes, you will! And in the end, what works for you is what works for you. I'm normally super sensitive to everything, but have no trouble with the high SCI formula at all - doesn't dry me out or make me itch at all. But knowing that it exceeds recommended amounts means that I wouldn't sell it to anyone, that's for sure.

I highly recommend that Esty shop! every recipe that I've gotten from them has been the best ever!!! And I've bought 6 recipes from that shop so far.
Hey @violets2217
your post is very much appreciated.
I'm new to soap making but Would love to make syndet bars as they have no lye in them.
Mind sharing one or a few timeless recipes.
Many Blessings 🙏

Yes, you will! And in the end, what works for you is what works for you. I'm normally super sensitive to everything, but have no trouble with the high SCI formula at all - doesn't dry me out or make me itch at all. But knowing that it exceeds recommended amounts means that I wouldn't sell it to anyone, that's for sure.
A few weeks in and my hair is doing well with shampoo and conditioner bars recipes from DIY BATH AND BODY. My hair is still on the dry side, but that might be because the humidity here is running around 20%. I’m going to try the hot pour shampoo next time. Sandra and Angie were very helpful with my questions. Thank you @AliOop and @violets2217 for your support and suggestions! I now have bars in time for my trip to WA on Wednesday where the rain will turn my hair into perfect curls. I never have to travel with bottles of shampoo and conditioner again!

One funny thing: part of my reason to make the bars was to reduce plastic waste from those bottles…I now have a big box filled with ingredients in plastic pouches, jars and bottles. 🤦🏽‍♀️😝🤣

Hey @violets2217
I'm new to soap making but Would love to make syndet bars as they have no lye in them.
Many Blessings 🙏
The recipe you need will depend upon the type of hair you have and what goals you have for making your own bars. I researched the topic for close to six months before making my first bars. Humblebee & Me - Humblebee & Me has some excellent recipes if you your hair is mostly straight. Curly hair needs different care with the recipes from the Etsy shop mentioned working well for me.

One funny thing: part of my reason to make the bars was to reduce plastic waste from those bottles…I now have a big box filled with ingredients in plastic pouches, jars and bottles. 🤦🏽‍♀️😝🤣
Yes, the irony of that wasn't lost on me, either! But the reality is that it is still far less plastic than what I would use if I were to buy the equivalent number of washes from bottles of liquid shampoos and conditioners. And it is sooooo nice not to bring liquids when traveling by air!

Also, with my very dry hair that can get quite frizzy, I do have to add additional moisture besides the conditioner bars. But that's always been true for me. I usually put a little argan, jojoba, or meadowfoam seed oil on my fingertips, and lightly brush them over the surface of my hair. It's enough to tame the frizz without weighing it down (or giving me allergic reactions like I get from most hair products).

Hey @violets2217
Many Blessings 🙏
So the recipe I use it one that I bought from the Esty shop:
DIYbathandbodyshop | Etsy
Not sure if the link will work, but it’s the DIYbathandbodyshop on Etsy and the shampoo bars are good. Also there was much talk about the recipe from the website @Janewoc17 linked above in other shampoo bar posts on this forum.
More Mango Shampoo Bar is one of the recipes that was discussed.

Good luck!

Yes, the irony of that wasn't lost on me, either! But the reality is that it is still far less plastic than what I would use if I were to buy the equivalent number of washes from bottles of liquid shampoos and conditioners. And it is sooooo nice not to bring liquids when traveling by air!

Also, with my very dry hair that can get quite frizzy, I do have to add additional moisture besides the conditioner bars. But that's always been true for me. I usually put a little argan, jojoba, or meadowfoam seed oil on my fingertips, and lightly brush them over the surface of my hair. It's enough to tame the frizz without weighing it down (or giving me allergic reactions like I get from most hair products).

Ah...dry hair. I usually use a serum with Jojoba, Argan, and vetiver. I think I will add meadow foam seed oil to my next batch. Then switch I it up with the kokum butter hair recipe @violets2217 linked earlier in this thread. I often glob in some oils/butter and then braid it. My hair doesn't usually frizz, it just goes limp and sad when it is too dry. Yay braids!

Latest posts

Back