Syndet shampoo bar recipe help needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey justjacqui my daughter is touring Australia as we chat. So as far as I can see you have a similar recipe to the one I compiled except for the Kokum butter. My understanding is that Jojoba, Kokum etc make the hair feel good so why have you left it out of your formula?? Don't get me wrong I am all for keeping it simple, but what is your reasoning? Have you tried with and without?
I just leave the oils/butters for the conditioner bar. If I was planning on a more 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner bar I would consider it but I am happy to also use the conditioner bar. In liquid shampoos oils just decrease foaming.

I just leave the oils/butters for the conditioner bar. If I was planning on a more 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner bar I would consider it but I am happy to also use the conditioner bar. In liquid shampoos oils just decrease foaming.

Ok that makes sense. I do not want a 2 in 1 as those types of shampoos left my hair heavy and oily.

This is so good to know! One less ingredient to worry about and it may bring the cost down if ever deciding to sell. Hopefully I have a chance this weekend to give the shampoo bars another shot, you guys have me excited to get formulating!

In SCM's question section for shampoo bars someone named Sarah had asked about using Varisoft EQ 65 and Susan had responded that if you use SCI or other pH balanced ingredients you didn't need to alter the pH. Then in my notes I have to sub Varisoft for the Centronium Chloride at 2% (if this helps at all). I recently made Susan's recipe for dry hair that contained 10% butter and I thought it really took away from the suds so there's that.

In SCM's question section for shampoo bars someone named Sarah had asked about using Varisoft EQ 65 and Susan had responded that if you use SCI or other pH balanced ingredients you didn't need to alter the pH. Then in my notes I have to sub Varisoft for the Centronium Chloride at 2% (if this helps at all). I recently made Susan's recipe for dry hair that contained 10% butter and I thought it really took away from the suds so there's that.

Thanks yes I saw that. My whole issue was trying not to have to sub anything out and keep the ph between 5-7 because I am definitely not chemistry oriented lol. The ladies convinced me that adding a butter to the shampoo would not be a wise idea.
Also, I just saw a recipe that Marie from Humblebee just posted and from the looks of that one and my recipe I think I did pretty good for a newbie. Give myself a pat on the back lol. I just put my product order in but sad to say it looks like shipments are a month behind. Might not be able to make anything before Xmas.

Wooo hoooo i made my first shampoo bar! However i must have done something wrong...i melted my SCI and amphosol together and i used a double boiler to melt my slsa, btms, cetearyl alcohol and silk amino acid together. The ingredients in the double boiler melted fine but then became kind of chunky. I had to try and break up little hard bits apart once i joined it all together.

What did i do wrong?

I recently made this recipe from Soap and more with a couple adjustments to the ingredients I had on hand: mango instead of Kokum and wholesale supplies plus Soft and silky ewax (Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Ceteareth-20). It’s so lovely!

I have thick, wavy hair. I do use a conditioner bar also from Naturally Curly This has been for the last two weeks. I used sunflower oil and Panthenol.
B4C564FF-1FD4-434A-A736-FC51D404D968.png

I recently made this recipe from Soap and more with a couple adjustments to the ingredients I had on hand: mango instead of Kokum and wholesale supplies plus Soft and silky ewax (Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Ceteareth-20). It’s so lovely!

I have thick, wavy hair. I do use a conditioner bar also from Naturally Curly This has been for the last two weeks. I used sunflower oil and Panthenol.View attachment 43258

Thank you! I will read this over and then have questions if you dont mind.

@Gaisy59: Why did you melt the SLSa with the BTMS instead of the surfactants? (Just curious.)

But otherwise KM is right, it will melt to a thick paste consistency. I usually melt mine for 30 minutes or so, and then mix, and then while mixing let it cool somewhat to the temp. where I can add the preservative (which is heat sensitive). By the time I can add the preservative it's on the borderline of not being pourable at all, so I just need to somehow get it into the mold.

You should let it harden for a few days before using it. It will get a bit harder, although it may never be as hard as a rock (depending on the recipe).

Some people say that SCI and BTMS don't work very well together, although in my experience it's fine to combine them.

Hi atiz thanks for dropping in with help. So the question is why did i melt SLSa that way and the answer is i do not know lol. I am using Swift Craft Monkeys i structions and she has “phases”. First phase, second phase then cool down phase. So i should have melted my SCI, and slsa and cetearyl together with my amphosol and then added the powders?

And i can tell you that nothing took 30 minutes. Everything melted really fast! I felt like one of those chefs trying to juggle ten pans at the same time

Oh oh after doing some reading i might have ordered cetearyl alcohol instead of cetyl alcohol. Would that make my bar too soft?
As far as I know, cetearyl alchol = cetyl alcohol + stearic acid. So it shouldn't make your bar soft.
I guess it doesn't matter how you melt them (you can even make it without melting!), as far as everything gets well combined at the end.

As far as I know, cetearyl alchol = cetyl alcohol + stearic acid. So it shouldn't make your bar soft.
I guess it doesn't matter how you melt them (you can even make it without melting!), as far as everything gets well combined at the end.

Then why oh why is my bar soft?

I think i prefer to melt as i dont have a press and it makes me feel like everything is well blended. I will have to slow the melting process down and place all the meltables together then add the powders at the end maybe that will be better.

Oh oh after doing some reading i might have ordered cetearyl alcohol instead of cetyl alcohol. Would that make my bar too soft?
Gaisy I just ordered Cetearyl alcohol for syndets , it is much better in shampoo bar than Cetyl

Here is a recipe I use on my hair. Most of the time I don't have to use a conditioner, at least I didn't until I bleached my hair a few months back.
Even with it being bleached and damaged, this bar isn't as harsh as commercial shampoo.

They can get a little soft after a couple weeks if not able to dry really well between uses but it didn't become squishy.

Heated powder ingredients- add colorant here if using, micas work great.
SCI 32%
cetyl alcohol 5%
BTMS25 7%
Incroquat CR 5%
Shea butter (any butter will work) 5%
SLSa 28%

Liquid heated ingredients (mix with powders)
Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate 6%
Cocamidopropyl Betaine 6%

Cool down phase
Silk amino acids 1%
Panthenol 1%
Dimethicone 1%
Cyclomethicone 1%
CTAC 1%
Preservative 1%
Fragrance 1-3%

melt heated phase at 30 second bursts in microwave. Make sure not to burn or overheat, it will puff up and come out of your bowl if you do. Will resemble applesauce when melted.
Cool down to the appropriate temps for your preservative. Add preservative, additives and fragrance, mix well and quickly pour into molds.
You are so kind to share this. Thank you

Back