Swollen feet (help!)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirtim100

Reaction score
Given that this is not just a soapmaking forum, but a forum full of people with great advice about lots of stuff, I'd like to ask you for remedies for a problem I'm having.

I've been sitting in front of the computer more or less constantly for about ten days, working on a project and my feet are swelling. It's happened before but not this much. It actually hurts to move around. I can't just get up and go for a walk because the deadlines are so tough. So, the question is do you know of any good traditional remedies for swollen feet?

Any advice or remedies, ny feet will thank you for it.

Happy soaping

Given that this is not just a soapmaking forum, but a forum full of people with great advice about lots of stuff, I'd like to ask you for remedies for a problem I'm having.

I've been sitting in front of the computer more or less constantly for about ten days, working on a project and my feet are swelling. It's happened before but not this much. It actually hurts to move around. I can't just get up and go for a walk because the deadlines are so tough. So, the question is do you know of any good traditional remedies for swollen feet?

Happy soaping

Oh goodness, I regularly have that problem, ever since my 3rd pregnancy. Things that work for me are:
Compression: Some people use compression stockings/socks, but I prefer massage or sticking a foot under a leg while sitting on the sofa.
Elevation: Lie around with your feet up! Oh noes, you might have to nap! :D But seriously, there are times I get so fed up I'll put my feet WAY up and let gravity lend a hand.
Fluids: Drinking lots of water, and perhaps a cup of coffee.
Water pills: I have slightly elevated blood pressure, so my doc put me on a prescription water pill. It helps some when I've been careless.
Avoid sugar/starch: I'm also pre-diabetic and trying to avoid the family curse. But I've noticed that any time I overindulge, I blow up like a balloon! No good!

Good luck!

Oh goodness, I regularly have that problem, ever since my 3rd pregnancy. Things that work for me are:
Compression: Some people use compression stockings/socks, but I prefer massage or sticking a foot under a leg while sitting on the sofa.
Elevation: Lie around with your feet up! Oh noes, you might have to nap! :D But seriously, there are times I get so fed up I'll put my feet WAY up and let gravity lend a hand.
Fluids: Drinking lots of water, and perhaps a cup of coffee.
Water pills: I have slightly elevated blood pressure, so my doc put me on a prescription water pill. It helps some when I've been careless.
Avoid sugar/starch: I'm also pre-diabetic and trying to avoid the family curse. But I've noticed that any time I overindulge, I blow up like a balloon! No good!

Good luck!

Good to know, thank you for sharing!

I used to have crazy deadlines on my jobs. —Schedule a 5 minute rest every hour-timed- with legs straight up against a wall. Wiggle feet.
—Wiggle feet, stand on tiptoes even while sitting.
This will pump blood fluids back up to upper body. Learned in physical therapy.
—massage chest area to help lymph fluid move around.
—slowly push lymph fluids from wrist to elbow, ankle to calf.
Learned from nurse daughter.
Avoid salty food and drinks. Same for long plane rides. And compression Sox are wonderful.

I used to have crazy deadlines on my jobs. —Schedule a 5 minute rest every hour-timed- with legs straight up against a wall. Wiggle feet.
Avoid salty food and drinks. Same for long plane rides. And compression Sox are wonderful.

Awesome advice, thank you for sharing!

:)

Happy soaping

Hi.
Prevention would be the best practice. Make sure you don't have an underlying medical issue. If it's just because of sitting too long you can relief the pressure by using an under the desk foot stool with a soft top or a high enough piece of heavy duty foam (I use this).
The other thing is to avoid sitting for too long. Raise your desk so that you can use the computer while standing (currently I have placed my computer on a tall enough dresser). Someday I am hoping to buy myself one of those extendable desks you can use standing or sitting.
Treat yourself to a foot massage at the end of the day and as Mistrael recommended, keep your legs elevated as you relax on the sofa or bed.
Best wishes with the project:)

Great recommendations!

Last edited by a moderator:

Happy soaping
Your swollen feet could be a medical condition, but I use my bath bombs to soak my feet. .

Many many thanks to you all for all the brilliant advice.

I suddenly remembered an old yoga posture I used to do, called Viparita Karani, legs up against the wall as close to the perpendicular as possible. Stayed like that for about half an hour, and the swelling went right down.

Crazy deadline ends on Monday and I can get back to something resembling a normal life o_O

Thanks again to everyone!

Oh no, that sounds awful!
When the deadline is over, clear your schedule for a few days. You'll be running back and forth to the toilet to get all that water out. Mwahaha :D

Many many thanks to you all for all the brilliant advice.

I suddenly remembered an old yoga posture I used to do, called Viparita Karani, legs up against the wall as close to the perpendicular as possible. Stayed like that for about half an hour, and the swelling went right down.

Crazy deadline ends on Monday and I can get back to something resembling a normal life o_O

Thanks again to everyone!
That’s just what I was going to tell you to try. It helps me when I travel and my feet swell from flying. Glad you worked it out.

I have the same issue occasionally, including tonight. I looked around our 2 bedroom suite and realized there is nowhere in this suite that would allow me to to put my legs up against a wall. Seriously. Unless it's against a bedroom door.

So, the question is do you know of any good traditional remedies for swollen feet

Regardless of how busy I am (there is always some ‘deadline’), I learned the hard way (trip to the ER) to get up every two hours and move around for at least 10 minutes. I also have a small foot stool under my desk (at work and home) to improve circulation. Sometimes I forget and I end up with cankles (ankles the size of my calves)...especially during the summer when the humidity rises.

Please see your Dr. This is a Medical problem with about 59 different Medical reasons.
There is no fast cure for EDEMA as you need to know the root to the cause.

Exercise. Have some short breaks from the computer and get your legs working and heart pumping.
Dandelion Tea leaf tea (blend with something else if the flavour is not your favourite) is an excellent diuretic and good for you.
This one may seem strange but it help many things including oedema.... INCLINED BED THERAPY. You can look it up for the details (https://inclinedbedtherapy.com/) but the short story is that by elevating the head of your bed 15cm you improve circulation for the hours sleeping. Improved heart function (less pressure on it from laying down) = improved circulation = improved organ function and healing.
It is not a scam. It is accepted by some doctors and has been written into medical books. It only costs a few bricks under your bed legs and there is nothing to loose to try it. Within 3 days you may find you get up in the night for the toilet more often but this will settle down as the fluid is removed.
All of these have helped the swelling a lot for me besides many other health issues my husband and I were suffering.

Raising your feet only moves the fluid for the time the feet are raised and then it goes back when they are down. The fluid really needs to get back into the blood stream and get to the kidneys and we know the rest of that story.

Hope this helps

1000 thanks to all once again. Some great advice.

Went to the doc today and the plot thickens. Seems I've got gout now. My diet of a bottle of port and 2 broiled lobsters a day has a high price attached.

Seriously though, the projects are coming to an end and that means I can actually get up and go to the gym, walk, potter about and not sit down for a month or so.

Might even make some soap... :D

Thanks again to everyone and happy soaping

It's rare that I get that problem and usually it's from some injury I'm not aware of. I agree with compression socks and elevating your feet. Ideally, you should also be standing and stretching every so often so as to break the monotony of sitting on your duff and working. Maybe you can take advantage if you make yourself some tea every once in a while.

Back