Switzerland

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcandleattic

Reaction score
Was travelling in Switzerland last week for a corporate event. Was such a whirlwind trip I wasn't able to explore much, but here are some pics of the Swiss Alps.
So gorgeous...
20180403_184633.jpg
20180403_184641.jpg
20180404_102614.jpg
20180404_102621.jpg

Well, Janel, I've been wondering how it went. Did it take you this long to get over the jet lag? Nice pics. How was the food? How were the "natives"? How was the hotel? Night life?

Well, Janel, I've been wondering how it went. Did it take you this long to get over the jet lag? Nice pics. How was the food? How were the "natives"? How was the hotel? Night life?
No, I was pretty much over the jet lag by Saturday night/Sunday morning.
Not sure about the rest honestly. I was only gone 4 days, 2 of that for travelling to and from, and the other 2 climbing up and down the mountain. basically it was off the plane, up the mountain, corporate stuff, down the mountain, back on the plane and done.
We ate a lot of cheese when we were up on the mountain, but other than that, it was too much of a whirlwind trip to really get to do anything...

Beautiful pictures! Where about did you stay? My father-in-law is from Switzerland, and he grew up in a little town called Merenschwand (in the canton of Aargau). He took my DH for a 2 week trip to visit family back in 2009 (I didn't go; we had just closed on our new house and somebody had to move in!). My poor DH loved the fact that he was able to be with his dad and see all the places he had heard about when growing up, but. . . he doesn't speak Swiss-German, and while most of the family has a little English, they often forgot that my DH has no German (other than how to say "grandmother," "no," and "yes"). He spent most of the time drinking warm Coke, knowingly nodding his head, and trying to get out of eating bratwurst.

Somewhere there are pictures of my father-in-law at the top of a mountain in the Alps blowing an alpenhorn!

Beautiful pictures! Where about did you stay? My father-in-law is from Switzerland, and he grew up in a little town called Merenschwand (in the canton of Aargau). He took my DH for a 2 week trip to visit family back in 2009 (I didn't go; we had just closed on our new house and somebody had to move in!). My poor DH loved the fact that he was able to be with his dad and see all the places he had heard about when growing up, but. . . he doesn't speak Swiss-German, and while most of the family has a little English, they often forgot that my DH has no German (other than how to say "grandmother," "no," and "yes"). He spent most of the time drinking warm Coke, knowingly nodding his head, and trying to get out of eating bratwurst.

Somewhere there are pictures of my father-in-law at the top of a mountain in the Alps blowing an alpenhorn!
I was in Baar-Zug - about a 45 minute train ride from Zurich. We then climbed a mountain called Wildspitz, and spent the night in a cabin at the top of the mountain. Everyone where I was spoke English - heavily accented, but English. We did have sauerkraut and sausages with our cheese the night of the corporate event. The next morning we were made to "yodel" from the top of the mountain we were on.

The first two pics are of the northern part of the Alps that separate Switzerland from Italy. The other two are of Lake Zug and Lake Zurich. (that's what I was told the name of the lakes were)

Lovely! Sounds like a wonderful place for a corporate event. Too bad they didn't throw a little tour or two into the mix for you guys, Jane.

TEG, how wonderful to have such lovely views every day!

Beautiful !!
I went to Germany back in 2004 I think it was. We drove around for 2 weeks with X :mad:and my 2 kiddos (13 and 2) Lost all of my 400 Pics from the trip, thanks to X

You should go again, everyone should go there.
But make the trip for 2 week MINIMUM ! You just need to time to see it all.

You should go again, everyone should go there.
I'll definitely get to go again. How long I stay will depend on why I go and how much time and money I have.
However, I think the next trip I'll have for work will be to Singapore.

And be sure to visit the Lake Constance area to have a cup of tea with me!
When I make it over there, I'll definitely stop in for a cuppa!!

Beautiful. I went to Switzerland as a teenager.

I was wondering. I will be hosting a landscape painting challenge in May. I post pictures, people paint them in different media, including digital. Can I have your permission to use 1 or 2 of your pictures?

I am actually scrambling for pictures. If anyone has good landscapes they would like to share to be painted, email them to me.

There used to be lots of participation, now there is not as much. But alas.

@ SunRiseArts: Maria, I think you'd get lots of responses if you started a new thread. I think it would be fun for everyone to see landscapes of wherever they are or wherever they've visited... I'm off to look see what I have ... :goodbye1:

Beautiful pictures. They remind me a lot of our local Rockies. Well, not totally local (a few hours drive from here) though I've driven through them numerous times.
I'm from CO, born and raised here and live within an hours drive of beautiful Rocky Mountains, (only takes 2 hours and I'm in the heart of Rocky Mountain National Park) and I love them, they are beautiful. However, as much as I love our Rockies, they just do not compare to the mountains I saw in Switzerland. These pics in this post make them look like a 6 year old drew them compared to how they actually looked in reality. Not kidding, the pics do not do them justice at all. They were absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous.

I agree, Janel. We stayed in centrally-located Interlaken for a week and took daily train trips to various parts of Switzerland from there. The Alps are indeed majestic, awesome, rugged, almost overpowering compared to our kinder, gentler Rockies.

SHORT STORY
We were having coffee at an outdoor cafe across the street from the train station one morning when a familiar face walked up to where we were enjoying the view of the Jung Frau. We were SO surprised! It was our son who just got off the train and was headed for a trek up the mountain to camp over the weekend. He was stationed in Germany with the Air Force at the time. We were so happy to see him. Before we arrived, he was saving all his $$$ to get married but his fiancee´ broke off the engagement when he was home the previous Christmas. He hadn't spent a cent! It didn't take much to get him moving in the right direction. From that point on, he traveled all over Europe as time allowed and wrote wonderful stories of his escapades. Some were real doozies.

I agree, Janel. We stayed in centrally-located Interlaken for a week and took daily train trips to various parts of Switzerland from there. The Alps are indeed majestic, awesome, rugged, almost overpowering compared to our kinder, gentler Rockies.

SHORT STORY
We were having coffee at an outdoor cafe across the street from the train station one morning when a familiar face walked up to where we were enjoying the view of the Jung Frau. We were SO surprised! It was our son who just got off the train and was headed for a trek up the mountain to camp over the weekend. He was stationed in Germany with the Air Force at the time. We were so happy to see him. Before we arrived, he was saving all his $$$ to get married but his fiancee´ broke off the engagement when he was home the previous Christmas. He hadn't spent a cent! It didn't take much to get him moving in the right direction. From that point on, he traveled all over Europe as time allowed and wrote wonderful stories of his escapades. Some were real doozies.
What an awesome story!!

Latest posts

Back