Swirls - Opus 7

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All!
Made a batch this evening. The scent was Three Wise Men. The pot was colored Dark Gold and Canary Yellow. The accents were Paprika and Turmeric... The top doesn't show much evidence of swirling. I guess we will have to wait til the cut. Soap Partner thought Tequila Sunrise would be a good name for it.

Attachments

• IMG_3914.JPG
    IMG_3914.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3915.JPG
    IMG_3915.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 35
I have a VERY efficient heat retainer that I put over the soap mold. It's coming up on 24 hours since I made the batch and it is still quite warm: 102 degrees Fahrenheit (39 degrees Celsius). The soap still has a translucent look to it. Maybe we can cut tomorrow in the PM.

I have to say I am a little disappointed in the Three Wise Men FO. I like strong bold scents. I like it when someone during my day says, "Oh! What is that delightful smell?" It happens often when I shower with Patchouli, for example. I don't think Three Wise Men is going to have that effect.

Move along, folks. Move along. Nothing to see here.

I just cut the Three Wise Men slab. Major disappointment. It was a ITP and I colored the pot Dark Gold & Canary Yellow. The accents were Paprika and Turmeric.

I believe that the pot color and the Turmeric were too close in color and I didn't used enough Paprika to make it stand out. Except for the lack of swirls, the bars are otherwise satisfactory.

We'll get 'er next time!

Attachments

• IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3920.JPG
    IMG_3920.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3921.JPG
    IMG_3921.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 38
Give it a few days. Intense gelling can be unflattering to some colours/contrasts, and things™ tend to happen within a few days to weeks.

Then, please, do yourself a favour: take a few bars out of your gloomy dungeon, and look at (& photograph) the soaps under natural lighting (daylight, not direct sunlight)!

I like it. I really do! Yellow is on of my favourite colors, yellow makes me happy and I love the speckles in there.

And one word of advice: take on step back, don`t look at the soap for a while and circle back and look at it with freshes eyes 👀

When things doesn`t turn out the way we expect/want we tend to look at things as failures.
In this case you can use the surprizing outcome to your advantage. You said the fragrance was weaker than you expected it to be? (actually, don`t be fooled. Some scents are weak in the beginning and developes into stronger scents!)

If it turns out to be weaker than you`d like, then the colors will reflect a softer type of fragrance and suit the soap well. Aim it at those who like softer scents and you`ll wheel them in with hook, line and sinker.

Just you wait and see!

I have a VERY efficient heat retainer that I put over the soap mold. It's coming up on 24 hours since I made the batch and it is still quite warm: 102 degrees Fahrenheit (39 degrees Celsius). The soap still has a translucent look to it. Maybe we can cut tomorrow in the PM.

I have to say I am a little disappointed in the Three Wise Men FO. I like strong bold scents. I like it when someone during my day says, "Oh! What is that delightful smell?" It happens often when I shower with Patchouli, for example. I don't think Three Wise Men is going to have that effect.
That's disappointing to hear. I just got 4oz of it LOL. It smells good oob though so maybe I will make a batch and use the rest for something else.

" I like it when someone during my day says, "Oh! What is that delightful smell?""

I washed today with a brand new 8 week old soap - Cranberry Balsam. Have gotten several comments on "that great smell". I love it when that happens. I would call the Cranberry Balsam bars only lightly scented though. Maybe there is hope for the Three Wise Men afterall. Their due date is November 26.

They only smell it when they get up close to me and I am sweating (sorry, perspiring) a little. ;)

I usually use 1 cup (250 mls) of scent for 40 hefty sized bars - 5129 gms of oils. My whole batch is over 11 pounds.

Last edited:
Back