Swirls didn't work?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goji_fries

Reaction score
:oops::oops::oops::oops: I tried the coat hanger method on this charcoal clay batch. The coat hanger was the length of the laof and when through it about 10 times. It seems to have not worked out tho. What do you think happened?

oo.JPG

ooo.JPG

Could be that the charcoal layer was thicker, therefor it wouldn't push itself down to the lower layer. I just did one with charcoal in it and used a drop swirl, while it worked it, I would have liked it to have dropped lower ITM, I only just emulsified my base layer, but when I added the charcoal it thickened up quite quickly.

Could be that the charcoal layer was thicker, therefor it wouldn't push itself down to the lower layer. I just did one with charcoal in it and used a drop swirl, while it worked it, I would have liked it to have dropped lower ITM, I only just emulsified my base layer, but when I added the charcoal it thickened up quite quickly.

Do you think a thicker plastic coat hanger would have done the job or maybe even using the whisk all the way through would be better?

You could try it again with a thicker hanger, but don't take my word for it (I never tried the technique). It still looks good. :)

Since it was said that the charcoal will make the soap thicker, why not layer the thinner portion on top of it? Or will that not work?

Try a thicker coat hanger and be quick after mixing in the charcoal and layering on top. Its all about timing.

My best hanger swirls come from pouring my different colored portions in multiple layers before applying the hanger. For example, if I were to have made your black and white soap, I would have poured in about 1/4 of the white, then 1/4 of the black, then another 1/4 of the white, then another 1/4 of the black, and so on and so forth all the way up before swirling with the hanger. That way, you have swirled colors all throughout the soap.

IrishLass :)

Did you come straight up and back down, effectively pushing the batter back in line?

In seriousness, maybe the hanger was too thin or the batter too thick. I recently did what I consider to be my first successful swirl and I used a plastic spoon for it

Yeah EG, I used a way thin hanger. I went up over then down then over then up about ten times. I think it was a thicker charcoal top and thin hanger. Will try again. Thanks for the input :wave:

My husband made me a thicker "hangar", it's probably 3 times as thick. I found the regular thin wire hangar was not as effective for me.

For my hanger swirls, I taped a skewer to the hanger, and then wrapped tape over and over, all up & down the skewer. It made it thicker and sort of waterproof, and lasted about 5 or 6 uses.

That is a beautiful soap goji_fries. I have used the coat hanger technique while the soap started thickening and it still did it's swirl. I had to work quickly but a good result. I worked very closely between dragging up and down and overlapped if that makes sense. I used a wire hanger :)

Latest posts

Back