Swirling advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edco76

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice for swirling color into soap using a cylinder type mold? I have seen some methods for swirling box molds but I would really like to make some soap using a 3" pvc pipe as a mold. I have ordered some Candy Cane FO and would like to do a white bar with red swirls (could use color advice as well) I know I wont be able to pull of a candy can pattern or a starlight peppermint pattern but I would like a round bar with red swirls. Any help would be appreciated.

I use PVC for molds, and have found the easiest way to swirl in them is to have both your portions of batter in jugs. Pour both into the pipe at the same time, then use the handle of your wooden spoon or something that will reach to the bottom of the pipe. Put it in the middle of the pipe, then circle it out to the outside.

I have found that less is more with this - if you try and swirl it round too much, all it does is mix the colours together.

This was done with two pitchers and swirled lightly with a dowel:

blue_yellow_bunch.jpg

Irena

Becky said:
I use PVC for molds, and have found the easiest way to swirl in them is to have both your portions of batter in jugs. Pour both into the pipe at the same time, then use the handle of your wooden spoon or something that will reach to the bottom of the pipe. Put it in the middle of the pipe, then circle it out to the outside.

I have found that less is more with this - if you try and swirl it round too much, all it does is mix the colours together.

Thanks Becky,
What size do you use, if you dont mind my asking? I am thinking 3" diameter and about 16" long for a 4 lb. batch. Also, do you just glue on an end cap? How do you seal it?

My PVC is 80mm in diameter, whch works out to just over 3". I use the end caps that you can buy to fit the pipe and just cut out a piece of laminating plastic to fit into the cap to line it. Be aware tho, some end caps fit tighter than others. The ones I currently have are a little loose, I think because the PVC thickness of my pipe is less than others (does that make sense?)

Anyway, the first time I used my current PVC set-up, I just put the end cap on, poured my soap, and then thought 'Oh, look at that, it's leaking'. I tried to move it to a spot where it didn't matter if it leaked a little, but only lifted the pipe, not the cap on the bottom. I promply discovered just how much mess you can make when the end comes off the mold and you have raw soap batter EVERYWHERE :oops: . Needless to say, I now tape my ends on with packing tape. Just a tip. :lol:

I also use a sheet of laminating plastic to line the actual pipe. I tried using baking paper ONCE - it stuck like glue!! I had to leave it for about a week before it would come out.

I find that by using the plastic, it slides right out, then you just unwrap it from the plastic and hey presto! Also, the plastic is re-usable, just give it a wash in hot soapy water, rinse & let it dry.

I also am using PVC. I spray mine with Pam or same as and then put it in the freezer for 45 min to 1 1/2 hour. depening on weather I loose track of time or not. :shock:
Paula

Irena,

Looks like you use about a 10 or 12 inch pipe? Does soap slide out of them pretty easy, or do you have to beat on it to get it out?

The longer it drys in the pipe, the easier to get out too. Right?

PhillipJ said:
Irena,

Looks like you use about a 10 or 12 inch pipe? Does soap slide out of them pretty easy, or do you have to beat on it to get it out?

The longer it drys in the pipe, the easier to get out too. Right?

Yes, they are 12 inches. Mine are pretty seasoned now, so the soap just slides out. I use tu put them in the frezzer, then ran hot water over the outside.

Irena

Thanks Irena,

They look cool in the pictures. Bottom row, 2nd in from the right, looks like a fish jumping. You planned it that way, didn't you.

Back