Swirl soap newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pink, I have never swirled CP. There are a couple threads on swirling M&P that were discussed just this past summer.

Swirling is fun and easy with cold process soap. I like to use powdered alkanet root because of the dark color that can change from dark grey to purple depending on the ph of the soap, or so I've been told. Mine come out dark purple, but that may change as the soap cures.

I simply take about 1/2 tsp of alkanet powder and add a Tbls or two of oil to get a thin paste and set it aside. As I am stirring to trace I gradually add my soap to the paste until I'm ready to pour it into my loaf mold.

I've had better success pouring soap, then colorant swirling very briefly, then adding more soap and then the rest of the colored mixture.

The fun part is taking off the end piece of the mold and seeing how it turned out. Each slice of soap reveals a different swirl pattern. Gives you something extra to look forward to.

Cool 8) I was planning to try the alkanet root myself. So let me make sure I have this right. You mix the powder with about 2 tbsp of the oils you were melting and mix. Then you add soap to it (just before trace) and then use this mixture to swirl, directly in your loaf mold. I really can't wait to try this.

BTW does it matter what oil combinations you use? Do some oils take colour better than others?

pink-north said:
Cool 8) I was planning to try the alkanet root myself. So let me make sure I have this right. You mix the powder with about 2 tbsp of the oils you were melting and mix. Then you add soap to it (just before trace) and then use this mixture to swirl, directly in your loaf mold. I really can't wait to try this.

BTW does it matter what oil combinations you use? Do some oils take colour better than others?

Oils that are "clear" take colors better than the ones with a yellow tinge.

Irena

I agree; clear oil makes sense. I've used Sweet Almond oil, also soy. My main focus has been on having my swirling, colored oil stay thin enough to swirl well.

I just use a little clear oil first so I don't have to take the time later during the critical moment when the soap starts to trace, to get the powder mixed with oil. Then at trace I add the tracing soap to the colorant since I want it to be as much like the uncolored soap as possible, except for color.

Latest posts

Back