Swirl hanger tool self making tip

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putzii

Reaction score
Hi lovely soapers,

I have a small suggestion for the people that find the swirl hanger tool too expensive to buy. Especially in the UK!šŸ™ƒ We can only buy from Amazon and Etsy from the US so the delivery costs are sometimes over 35 pounds šŸ˜¬ for a hanger toolšŸ¤£

I just made my own just now within 10 minutes.
If you own an old exercise resistance band (the round hollow type) and you donā€™t mind cutting the ends off you can use this together with a hanger to make the tool.

I attached a photo.
Straighten the metal clothes hangeršŸ’ŖšŸ¼. Cut the ends loose and pull the resistance band over it.
I pulled it up all the way through because it feels nicer but you donā€™t have to of course.

Bend it into the shape and size you prefer for the mould you use and thatā€™s that. You can wire the ends together on top again so itā€™s in one shape.

I ordered one from Amazon Ā£23 pounds but then I thought about the old resistance band I still had and cancelled it straight away.

I hope it can help someone.

Have a lovely weekendšŸŖ¬šŸŒøšŸŖ¬

Attachments

• 37173E0F-601D-4F90-A41F-F79B10955E53.jpeg
    37173E0F-601D-4F90-A41F-F79B10955E53.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can you buy gear ties in the UK? They are easier to bend than hangers. I've done the cut & bend hanger thing & may aging hands just don't have that kind of strength anymore!

Amazon UK has them: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gear-Tie/s?k=Gear+Tie
Hi there Earlene,

Yes absolutely. I have bought a pair on Amazon UK. Do you work with them? I bought a 24ā€ so that would also fit a wider mould.

I hope youā€™re well.
Donā€™t say old- there is no old, just experienced XxšŸŖ¬

Yes, I do. As a hanger substitute, the really skinnier ones are better than the thicker ones, particularly for finer detail swirls. The first set I bought had a pretty thick longer gear tie in the set, and I didn't like it as well as the thinner shorter ones, so I went looking for another set to use with long loaf molds.

Aha, so thatā€™s the trick. But how do you mean shorter is better. Doesnā€™t it depend on the mould width or length. How thick gives a good result you think? I purchased this one. Thought a reasonable thickness. Saw a lady on yt use something like this. I suppose it all depends on the mould and the pattern you want to achieve.

The cool thing is itā€™s such a simple tool and people make beautiful things with it. I bet the creator of this tool is clapping his hands reading of the soaping community loving his tool toošŸ¤£

Attachments

• EDCC71ED-D0B4-4171-96EE-C1F8D577F6CC.png
    EDCC71ED-D0B4-4171-96EE-C1F8D577F6CC.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aha, so thatā€™s the trick. But how do you mean shorter is better. Doesnā€™t it depend on the mould width or length. How thick gives a good result you think? I purchased this one. Thought a reasonable thickness. Saw a lady on yt use something like this. I suppose it all depends on the mould and the pattern you want to achieve.

The cool thing is itā€™s such a simple tool and people make beautiful things with it. I bet the creator of this tool is clapping his hands reading of the soaping community loving his tool toošŸ¤£
No I did not mean that shorter was better, but that skinnier (less thickness) is better. The shorter ones I have are not as thick, but the longer ones were thicker, so I looked for ones that were long enough but thinner (less thickness). The reason was so that I could get more delicate swirls, which I did not feel the thicker ones were accomplishing.

Thanks Earlene,

It all makes sense. Am a bit slow sometimes to pick things up lolšŸ™ƒ
Can acknowledge this now after being here 49+ years lolšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Thanks Earlene,

It all makes sense. Am a bit slow sometimes to pick things up lolšŸ™ƒ
Can acknowledge this now after being here 49+ years lolšŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Yes, and it comes and goes. I've noticed this in myself, anyway. For me it can be as simple as being distracted, or sleep pattern changes (deprivation, for example). Other times, a medication change can play a part. There are all kinds of reasons. ;)

Lolz thatā€™s it! Never mind, as long as weā€™re still good enough to make a soap thats fine by mešŸ¤©

With the thinny swirl tool first time made this soap came out of it. I havenā€™t used the blue one yet but also may not use it now as ordered the gear tie, making it very complicated as usualšŸ™ƒ

Attachments

• 89CF0C56-C940-470A-8B46-BCE2AA0535E3.jpeg
    89CF0C56-C940-470A-8B46-BCE2AA0535E3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 44405541-ECD9-458B-A227-A2A68E94D3D4.jpeg
    44405541-ECD9-458B-A227-A2A68E94D3D4.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back