Swirl challenged question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
OK, so if I were to attempt this technique, which isn't really a swirl, but a pouring technique, and I made it in a loaf mold, would I slice it like bread, or would I have to slice it horizontally, and then into bars?
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M9E40qdvQE[/ame]

You cut it like you would a Taiwan swirl. I think she only pours the soap in her loaf mold to 1 to 1.5 inches thick, and just does 3 or 4 cuts every 3 inches or so.

You cut it like you would a Taiwan swirl. I think she only pours the soap in her loaf mold to 1 to 1.5 inches thick, and just does 3 or 4 cuts every 3 inches or so.

^^^
That's what I think too. Or use a slab mold. I think if you did a full log and cut it horizontally you would lose a lot of the swirls because they wouldn't spread out evenly and beautifully. I think keeping it the thickness of one bar also means that the underside would swirl equally as well as the top.

My big problem (initially) is choosing colours. I have a selection of colours and just freeze when it comes to choosing combinations that will work together.

Last edited:

^^^
That's what I think too. Or use a slab mold. I think if you did a full log and cut it horizontally you would lose a lot of the swirls because they wouldn't spread out evenly and beautifully. I think keeping it the thickness of one bar also means that the underside would swirl equally as well as the top.

My big problem (initially) is choosing colours. I have a selection of colours and just freeze when it comes to choosing combinations that will work together.

Thanks guys! P.J., I know what you mean. My color selection never seems to turn out like it looks in my head. :Kitten Love:

You don't need to slice it horizontally, since the soap in the mold is only as deep as one bar of soap is thick (say about 1 1/4" deep). That is if you do it like the soaper in the video did it. Cut the soap just like a pan of brownies. I don't think a slab mold will work as well as a loaf mold, since the batter is being "bounced" off the long sides of the long, narrow mold to get the pronounced rippling effect.

You don't need to slice it horizontally, since the soap in the mold is only as deep as one bar of soap is thick (say about 1 1/4" deep). That is if you do it like the soaper in the video did it. Cut the soap just like a pan of brownies. I don't think a slab mold will work as well as a loaf mold, since the batter is being "bounced" off the long sides of the long, narrow mold to get the pronounced rippling effect.

Ahh, so there's really no way to make more than a few of these at a time. Rats! I may just try it deeply in a loaf mold and see what I get. Couldn't be worse than any of my other attempts. :think: Thanks, Dee.

Ahh, so there's really no way to make more than a few of these at a time. Rats! I may just try it deeply in a loaf mold and see what I get. Couldn't be worse than any of my other attempts. :think: Thanks, Dee.

Longer loaf mold? like one of those massive 8lb monsters we see on You tube?

I have the same 9 bar slab mold kchaystack does (heritage), and I'm thinking about dividing it in half into 2 makeshift loafs. Probably get 8 bars. Definitely need a high lard recipe and trusty for for this.

I have a list of soaps to make a mile long, but school started, we all got sick, and now my car is in the shop. Don't know when I'll be able to try this.

Back