Swimmer Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMyers

Reaction score
OK, so I've searched this forum, and even attempted Google, my I am search impaired.

I'd like to make soaps for my daughter's swimming coaches, and wonder if there is something specific that would be useful for swimmers? A formula, or an EO that helps with chlorine damaged skin? Or if I just make my favorite recipe with a "universal" scent like lemongrass or something like that, and leave it at that?

What say you, my soaping experts?

I would use a high lard-80% with at least 8-10% SF to not only condition, but give that bit of slickness to help slip the swimmers through the water faster. My fiance was on a swim team, and swears it helps. I would use a non-gender specific EO like lemongrass just because.

I'd go with a fairly high super fat (maybe 7% or even 8%) to counter the drying tendency of chlorinated water. I'd also go low on the coconut oil to avoid over-cleansing already damaged skin and lean more toward olive, lard, and other gentle cleansers.

While citrus scents are often recommended to cancel and overwhelm chlorine odors, I'd mind those due to their tendency to increase sun sensitivity. Plus the fact that terpenes tend to be very cleansing and that's not the best idea here.

Lemongrass would be a great scent. Any of the air scents, like ocean breeze or whatnot, would also be good as they won't clash with a bit of leftover chlorine odor. However, I've often noticed that the ozone scents tend to rice and accelerate, so test those.

Hmm. Not sure how helpful a soap will be.

Do you make other products? Our dd swims a lot, and because chlorine can cause estrogenic effects, we read (didn't do extensive research) that applying oils, like coconut oil before swimming, or simply a water shower to moisten the skin will inhibit some chlorine absorption. Also, many people (including us) use ascorbic acid sprays for skin and hair after swimming to help neutralize the chlorine. Spray, leave on while waiting to shower, and then she smells nice and sweet and fresh! Seems to have a made big difference in the condition of her hair too.

Might be worth investigating.

I'd go with a high lard soap and throw in shea somewhere between 5-10% with a 6-7% SF. I get sunburned/cold-chapped skin and can feel the difference tha shea makes. Back when I spent a lot of time at the pool, I think my skin would have loved the same oils.

Back