Swimmer’s Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenBen

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve read every post on this forum about soap for swimmers. I even read laboratory analysis of chlorine chelation. Vitamin C in its various forms is very effective which made me think I could add it to liquid soap. Then I read that Vitamin C loses its effectiveness within 24 hours.
Opinions please!
I thought perhaps to include activated charcoal and make it very moisturizing with castor oil?
Thoughts?

All the best,

Jenifer

I realize that this is not the question you asked, but several summers ago when I was swimming 4-5 days per week (taking grandsons to the local rec center), I used an apple cider vinegar rinse after shampooing. I didn't get any green coloring, and I didn't get the stiff, straw-like "swimmer's hair," either.

You can't add ascorbic acid (vitamin c) to lye-based soap and expect it to stay ascorbic acid. It will be converted into the salt sodium ascorbate. This will happen whether you add the acid up front when you make the soap or later on after the soap is finished.

IMO, rinsing with ascorbic acid, vinegar, or other acid is the better way to go if you want a homemade method of dealing with the chlorine.

Not sure I'd want to put powdered stuff (activated carbon) in my hair, but that's probably a personal preference thing.

Soap is a cleanser. It can clean gently or harshly, but that's its job. It's best to save the moisturizing additives for a conditioner.

Have you read the many, many discussions here about the advisability of using lye-based soap to wash hair? Might want to do that homework before you commit to using lye-based soap on your hair.

Thanks for the ideas and direction. Thanks @DeeAnna. I’ll track down the discussions on using lye-based soap on hair. I had been trying to come up with a multi-purpose swimmer’s soap and shampoo. (The commercial versions are loaded with petrochemicals.)
As I think about the microbiome of one’s skin, chlorine must disrupt it by stripping it. Perhaps, I should think more about restoration and less about cleansing per se?

I used an apple cider vinegar rinse after shampooing. I didn't get any green coloring, and I didn't get the stiff, straw-like "swimmer's hair," either.
Good advice. :thumbs:
Quick "on topic" question: What shampoo? OTC? Syndet? Lye-based?

@JenBen I have been shampooing with lye-based bars and Liquid for as long as I have been making soap, i.e., since 2004 with no detrimental after effects.

DIY SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER

Latest posts

Back