Sweetgrass

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bountifulsoaps

Reaction score
I need a decent supplier for this fragrance. Been using MMS which I love but can't afford to do much at the price. I did a few batches using their sweetgrass and it was wonderful but like I said I would like to do more at lower price. I figure with their price I have a dollar a bar just in fragrance. Anyone use it from a different supplier?

I just got an answer reviewing backwards. I guess DeeAnna uses Nature's Garden. Her review is nice of the fragrance.

I've used MMS sweetgrass and NG sweetgrass. They aren't exact dupes of real sweetgrass (I grow it, so I know), but they're both pleasant green/herbal/fresh fragrances. I'd say the NG version is slightly sweeter but otherwise fairly similar to MMS. I use them both at 6% ppo. They stick moderately well. Not amazing stick, but acceptable. I have also blended Sweetgrass FO with Green Tea FO for a bit more depth to the fragrance. Just a suggestion --YYMV on that.

BrambleBerry currently offers a sweetgrass FO, but I've not tried that one.

Also Bitter Creek North used to have a plain sweetgrass, but the only FO they have with a sweetgrass note is a blend -- Sage, Sweetgrass, Cedar.

See also the SMF Fragrance Oil Review -- https://tinyurl.com/y8yqhtlt

Since you like the MMS version, maybe experiment with hot process or even rebatching to see if you can use less FO? BB has Sweetgrass but it's $13.34 for 7.5 oz - a little cheaper, but not much.

You could put out a request for people to make you sniffies or even scraps of soap made with different Sweetgrass FOs. I would volunteer a BB one, but it's been reformulated since I bought it.

I've used BB sweetgrass. I don't know how it compares to the other companies but its pretty nice. Not true to actual sweetgrass but its a nice green scent, maybe a bit more grassy then sweet.

Not sure how it sticks as I usually blend it and its been quite awhile since I used it last. Should make a small batch with my remain amount.

I was using the Daystar sweetgrass when it was discontinued. I switched to Symphony Scents. I don't know what sweetgrass is supposed to smell like but the Daystar one I liked almost had the scent of cut hay in the fall. The Symphony Scents is very strong and reasonable price but has more of a woody cedar type scent. So, if that description sounds good to you then I recommend the one from Symphony Scents. I am still looking for more of the cut hay, but not green grass scent at a reasonable price.

IMO, the aroma of freshly dried sweetgrass is mainly fresh dried hay (coumarin) blended with vanilla. There's also a green - spicy - tannin thing going on -- think of the scent of green tea mixed with a tiny bit of cedar and cut grass. As sweetgrass ages, the green aroma fades and the tannin-spice becomes a bit stronger. The hay-vanilla main aroma still dominates.

DeeAnna
Thanks for the description. I looked at the MMS and the Sweetgrass. They are both close to $50/pound. However, Sweetcakes have a scent called "new mown hay" for $29 /pound. Have you ever used this? how close to sweetgrass do you think it would be?

@lucycat -- I have no idea about FOs I haven't personally tried. It might be in the SMF Fragrance Oil Review -- check there. Otherwise, you'll have to try it to see if it works for you. NG sweetgrass is $16 for 16 fluid oz (roughly 1 lb). It's honestly pretty decent.

@shunt2011 -- I've used MMS green tea and NG green tea. Bought the MMS one to see if the extra cost translates to something amazing. Like their sweetgrass FOs, these two are slightly different. The difference to my nose is not large enough to justify paying a lot more for the MMS fragrance.

@DeeAnna

Thank you for you descriptions of the fragrance. I haven't had a lot of experience with fragrances as I have with essential oils but other than lavender/tea/tree/eucalyptus and a few more I'm looking at fragrances. I think I'll start out with one log which is 80 ounces of oils alone so I thought I'd try 4 ounces of NM sweetgrass fragrance. What do you think. When I did MMS's sweetgrass the first time didn't have staying power but the second time I added just a little litsea and it was great. We appreciate your reviews. Thank you

Back