Sweet (Tasting) Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbtreasures

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I have a strange question. Is anyone aware of anything that would make the finished bar of soap on the sweet side? I bought a bar of soap some time back that had great lather & hardness, and was rather sweet tasting! Out of curiosity, I did a zap test before using it and I discovered this additional property. (I am a very curious person!!) Thank You and happy soapmaking!!

old terminology for acidic was sour, and alkaline was sweet
I certainly agree with it food wise,
and soil is supposed to taste similar with acidic/alkaline conditions.
'sweet soil' and 'sour soil',
not sure if that helps :)

Thank you for your response! Im a little dense but are you saying that the more alkaline the sweeter the bar? Hmmm....very interesting and food for thought!

Thank you for your response! Im a little dense but are you saying that the more alkaline the sweeter the bar? Hmmm....very interesting and food for thought!
no, I do not know how concentration would change the 'flavour' and chemical burn is a real risk.

Hello Everyone! I have a strange question. Is anyone aware of anything that would make the finished bar of soap on the sweet side? I bought a bar of soap some time back that had great lather & hardness, and was rather sweet tasting! Out of curiosity, I did a zap test before using it and I discovered this additional property. (I am a very curious person!!) Thank You and happy soapmaking!!

That's the sort of question I ask!
I reckon the oils used make a bit of a difference to the sweet taste, but it could be added sugar that you are noticing.

A bit of dissolved sugar makes fabulous bubbles :rolleyes:

Do a forum search for “tooth soap,” there should be a few threads from the past two years. If I remember the some of the discussions right, coconut oils soaps taste bad but peanut oil soap might be sweet. I don’t remember the exact conversations but I think someone does make tooth soap regularly.

When I make my tooth soap (which I need to do again), I use peanut oil and xylitol. There is a noticeable difference in the sweetness, more from the peanut oil than the xylitol. I've done a comparison and it really does make a difference.

My toothsoap does not taste in the least sweet, but I didn't add much xylitol because I didn't want to go overboard. I don't much like sweet, anyway. But I also used peanut oil, so I would not call it sweet. But perhaps the amount of charcoal in my soap has something to do with that, and the fact that the charcoal I have is made with coconut hulls. Or maybe it's the tiny bit of turmeric I added that prevents sweetness,

Okay, here's a link to the recipe I used for the toothsoap I still use daily.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/soap-for-teeth.60591/page-3#post-614047If

If you read through that thread, you will see some folks mentioning that AC is used as a tooth whitener, well I can guarantee you that if you drink iced tea all day long like I do, tooth whitener won't make your teeth white and neither does this soap. Maybe if I stopped drinking tea it would, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Just so you know, dietary intake plays a very big role in how effective tooth whitener are. I have also gone the route of professional tooth whitening, ad let me tell me tell you, don't eat raw carrots right after a tooth whitening treatment!

Back to the toothsoap. I made a very small batch and still have not used it all up, so have not yet made another batch.

I will say that before I made the toothsoap I used pure OO soap and it actually tasted better than this recipe. I may experiment with a different recipe next time I make this, but I still have a couple more tiny bars.

However I am very pleased with this toothsoap for how well it cleans my teeth and have only used toothpaste a couple of times in the last 16 months, and I really don't like how the toothpaste feels anymore. So I plan to stick to tooth soap as long as I can.

I was the one who made 100% peanut oil soap. It does have a sweeter taste then other soap but I wouldn't say it sweet like sugar. Its more of it not being bitter or soapy like other types of oil. Even 100% OO tastes like soap where the peanut really doesn't.
Last time I made tooth soap, it was 100% peanut with quite a bit of powdered cinnamon and some clove. I don't use it anymore, I found it too messy. Never could figure out how to keep it uncovered and not get dog hair on it.

Ditto what Lenarenee said. The sweetness shows up quite strong in my glycerin liquid soap paste, as compared to the sweetness in my regular soap bars (when I zap-test).

IrishLass :)

Back