Sweet & Sour chicken balls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We sometimes enjoy Chinese take out. Not sure it's authentic but it's a quick fix for busy nights. So I'm always repulsed at the thick sweet bright red sauce that comes with sweet and sour chicken balls. (which is always chosen by DH). I wonder why sweet and SOUR when it's is only sickening sweet. So last night we succumbed to Chinese take out in a different area and with his usual order of chicken balls comes the typical bright red sauce, BUT it was thin and definitely sour as well as sweet. Being thin a lot less stuck onto the chicken. Very good! I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get this or has any other comments. It only now occurred to me to google if you can make your own!

A bit late to the party, but I know what you mean about most sweet 'n sour being mostly sweet.

Here's the recipe I use. It uses ingredients fairly common to many US kitchens, which is why I like it -- I can whip up a batch real quick.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
Makes about 1 cup

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar, white or apple cider
1/4 cup ketchup
1 TBL soy sauce
1/2 tsp powdered garlic
1 1/2 TBL corn starch (or 3 TBL flour)

Microwave method -- Mix all ingredients except the corn starch in a heat proof microwavable bowl. Mix in the cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Microwave the mixture, stirring often to prevent lumps, until the sauce simmers and thickens.

Stovetop method -- Mix all ingredients except the corn starch in a small saucepan. Mix in the cornstarch and whisk until smooth. Heat the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring often to prevent lumps, until the sauce simmers and thickens.

Both methods -- Let cool to room temperature and serve. Refrigerate leftover sauce.

@soapmaker how did the recipe work for you? Is it a winner?
Yes, I really like the link given by shunt2011. But like I posted, ^^^I reduce the sugar to equal the vinegar in sweet & sour recipes. The sauce is not thick and pastey. It is a perfect consistency and perfect balance of sweet & sour for me. I wanted to try DeeAnna's at the same time and compare but that's too much sauce.

Latest posts

Back