Sweaty Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheDogs

Reaction score
My thought process was that once I have made some, it would be best to keep them cool and dry, so as to not let them suffer in any way.

So each scent has it's own sealable plastic box in a room in my house that is cool and dry.

For the most part, this worked, but some of my soaps sweated *REALLY* badly.

So, the inevitable questions;

1) Are they now damaged and no good to sell/use?

2) Can they be "dried out" so that they behave themselves?

3) Will I have to re-melt them again?

4) How do I stop them sweating going forward? A warmer room? Wrap them each in plastic?

Attached are a couple of examples of the soaps misbehaving.

Soapy sweat 1.jpg

Soapy Sweat 2.jpg

Were these melt and pour? Or cold process?
Melt and pour needs to be wrapped in plastic to prevent sweating, but cold process needs to breathe. And salt bars will just sweat when the humidity gets too high.

Sorry, yes, I forgot to mention - these are all melt and pour.

Just wrap each one in typical plastic wrap from a grocery store? That will prevent this?

Can these be rescued with a warmer room or suchlike? Or are they all destined for the trash?

You have to decide if you want to sell them. Are you happy selling them as they are? If not, then don't. Personally, even though it's melt and pour, until you have things like how to store them and keep them in peak condition, I don't think you should be selling any of them

OK, so, throw them away? I'm not down for letting people have shoddy soaps.

Or can they be rescued with time for the moisture to leave or perhaps re-melt them and use them again?

As regards the storing of them once they are made, would you recommend a warmer room? The one I am storing these in is the coolest in the house.

Thanks for the advice - this is all very useful and good to know.

OK, so, throw them away? I'm not down for letting people have shoddy soaps.

Or can they be rescued with time for the moisture to leave or perhaps re-melt them and use them again?

As regards the storing of them once they are made, would you recommend a warmer room? The one I am storing these in is the coolest in the house.

Thanks for the advice - this is all very useful and good to know.

There is a special section on M&P on this forum and below is a link to answers about sweaty M&P soap:

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=56306

You need to wrap them up in plastic wrap to keep them from sweating. I would wipe them off and get them covered up as long as the soap is not melting into a puddle of goo they should be ok. Another option is to buy the reduced sweating bases that are available you will still need to make sure they are covered up but they are a little more forgiving.

Todd

Thanks for all the advice.

The reconstituting of the sweaty soap was a huge success!

Soap Swirly Berry.jpg

Believe it or not but M&P will still benefit greatly if you let them air for several days. My daughter that uses up to a pallet of m&p per year always lets her soap dry before packaging. If you live in a humid area it would help to have a fan on them.

I live in Long Beach, California.

The weather here can never seem to make up it's mind what it is it would like to do. Cold evenings (currently), but at the moment, days can get to 65-70 and during the summer, typically ridiculous SoCal heat.

It's going to be interesting trying to make sure the soap behaves.

I live in Long Beach, California.

The weather here can never seem to make up it's mind what it is it would like to do. Cold evenings (currently), but at the moment, days can get to 65-70 and during the summer, typically ridiculous SoCal heat.

It's going to be interesting trying to make sure the soap behaves.
Good Morning Long, Beach, we are in Whittier. I used to sell at the Spring & Clark Farmer Market

Good Morning Long, Beach, we are in Whittier. I used to sell at the Spring & Clark Farmer Market

Oh hey! We're neighbors!

Edited by mod - please keep business questions in the business section, when you qualify for posting there.

Latest posts

Back