Sweating M/P

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debra062013

Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I would try melt and pour again since there were some good kits available with molds at Brambleberry.

Since I live in Fl I had tried the low sweat and still got slippery mess. After over a year shrink wrapped MP still is slippery.

Thanks

Yikes, sorry about the typo.

When you are in a very humid place, make a lot of difference to wrap your soap immediately after it dries. You can just wrap it in cling wrap (like Sarah's wrap) and let it sit. No matter if it is low sweat or not. personally I never buy low sweat. IMO is not necessary.

MP soap can stay without wrapping for a very long time. I have some that is over 10 years old, if initially you let it "cure" wrapped for at least a week or longer.

Best way to check in your area, as temperatures and humidity changes everywhere, is to make a couple of small samples, and leave one unwrapped, one wrapped for a week, one wrapped for a month, and one wrapped for a year.

You will see the difference.

A co-soaper in my local area said that adding Sodium Lactate will prevent sweating. She doesn't know also the chemistry behind it but she said it works. Nice isn't it?

Has anyone knows how adding sodium lactate to MP or maybe CP & HP can prevent sweating considering its a humectant? Understanding how it contributes to prevent sweating will make me maximize its use in the future.

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
I have never try that, but I am not a fan of adding stuff to MP because it kills the lather.

Not sure what would do to it. I am curious. If you try it, let us know your results.

When my daughter was selling mp soaps she always cured them on a bakers rack unwrapped. When we would have higher than usual humidy she always had a fan directed at the racks. Her soaps never really sweated with her method and she poured a lot of M&P soaps, usually a full pallet a year of 25lb blocks.

Ive found Sodium Lactate gives a lovely lather. Haven't noticed a difference in sweating though.
I don't have to much of a problem with that just don't overheat when melting. Yes I learned this very quickly!
Cheers,

Back